• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ, AMC 360 swap, Low $$ Radiator Options?

ChicksDigWagons

NAXJA Forum User
Working on putting an AMC 360 into my 1990 XJ. Now that I think I'm on the right track fuel wise, probably the biggest hurdle is yet to be overcome.

Quick background so everybody knows where I'm coming from. I got the XJ for free from my brother who got it from a relative of a crazy neighbor for free as well. Had a solid, but non-running 4.0 that was pulled to be swapped into a wrangler with a blown engine. Turns out to be a missing CPS in the Cherokee after the engine was already pulled. Go figure - anyhow. I also got a free J10 pickup with solid engine, drivetrain, etc. Body looks like green and brown swiss cheese.

So I'm combining the two - and the name of the game is free or better. Now back to my original question.

I have a stock 1990 XJ radiator, a 2 core and a 3 core FSJ radiator availible to me. Any suggestions for a radiator solution for my swap?

I've ran the 360 on the stock XJ radiator while the J10 was but a frame and a bench seat. Naturally it ran hot and I don't like that - however I'm possitive there was significant air in the system and I had it hooked up rather uncerimoniously. Would the stock XJ radiator be enough to cool it, from all the research I've done its a resounding no - but there may be someone who says otherwise.

Which leaves me with my only other option: 3 core FSJ radiator. And its not going to fit without some work. My idea is moving the steering box back an inch or two, cutting the front bumper support beam thing out, and fitting the radiator inbetween the "frame" rails to get it under the hood.

I may have to angle it back to get in front of the steering box and still clear the hood latch. Or I may just eliminate the latch and go with pins instead. Has anybody seen or heard of this done? Any other ideas or suggestions?

I haven't done any finite measuring just some eye balling and checking the frame rail width. The only thing I'm not too happy about is moving the steering box. I'm planning on moving my axle forward and with the pumpkin on the passenger side I don't have much clearance to run the drag link behind the tie rod. I'll have to check that problem out as well.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the lengthy post! And keep in mind - CHEAP!

Back