• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible Maine run(s)

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
For those who don't know, I spent Columbus Day weekend in Maine. It wasn't intended as a wheeling trip -- in fact, I went up to Portland for a job interview and decided to press on to Lubec so I can lay claim to having been in the USA's easternmost town. From Lubec I went farther north on Route 1, to Calais.

And I noticed an anomoly -- where there was NOTHING shown on the official State of Maine highway map, the DeLorme "Maine Map and Guide" showed a road -- dotted -- that appears to be at least 100 MILES long, just a bit north of Calais and running west almost all the way back to Ellsworth (which is near Bar Harbor). I did some exploring, and I found the road in question -- and drove a few miles into it. The part I was on, at least, is a fairly well-maintained gravel road. Saw several narrower but apparently passable tracks leading off on each side. I flagged down a passing youngster in an S-10 and asked if the roads are open for wheeling. He said the ones that are obviously for quads and snowmobiles are off-limits to larger 4x4s, but the rest are fair game.

I was on street tires and had no extraction gear, not even a CB radio (not that anyone that far from anywhere would have heard me if I had shouted), so I didn't attempt any of the narrower trails. So there's a lot of exploring waiting to be done.

So I'm wondering if anyone might be interested in spending some time in a very beautiful part of Maine, checking out potential trails. This part of Maine is near the coast and is sparsely populated. We'd be able to check out Acadia National Park, see some lighthouses, visit Roosevelt's summer home on Campobello Island (in Canada, across the bridge from Lubec), and maybe even get our Jeeps dirty. The terrain is glacial and "hilly," but not "mountainous." I would not expect major boulder fields on these trails, but since I haven't been on them ... who knows?

I stopped at the DeLorme map store on the way home (it's near L.L. Bean, just north of Portland) and bought USGS maps for the area covering most of where this trail network runs. If some folks are interested, perhaps we could pick a date and a place and spend an afternoon looking at maps and considering alternatives.

For reference, I'm just outside New Haven, CT. Ellsworth, Maine, is 400 miles from here, and Calais is about 100+ miles beyond Ellsworth. Depending on where anyone might be coming from, figure on a LOOOONG day's drive to get there, and another one to get home. Although doing this right would require a week, there's not enough trail info yet to think of it as an offiacial, National event. But if some folks are interested, a few of us could check it out in 2003 with the intention of maybe doing a national event in 2004.

Is anyone interested?

Verrry tempting Mr. Eagle, sir. As always, you've appealed to the explorer side of me. Heck of a haul from NJ, but, I'd be more than happy to discuss this further.

Mike in NJ

I'm always interested in getting back up to Maine Eagle. I'd be real interested in scheduling something in 03.

I'v been to Acadia,Baxter and Allagash area...beautiful surroundings and plenty of remonte camping.

I'm in!!!!

I know of a few SICK places in Maine as well....

RJ

RJ --

You've been holding out on us. :)

There's been a lot of discussion about doing a NAC event in Maine, but the big problem is that nobody knows any trails up that-a-way. What's the general locale of the trails you know? The area I found is pretty far away for most folks in the NAC and any wheeling we find will probably be mostly mild. We've also talked about trying the Bethel area (where they hold the Maine Mountains Jeep Jamboree), but again -- none of us knows any trails in that area, and my attempts to contact Jeep clubs in the Bethel area have not generated any replies.

New Hampshire would be closer to a lot of NAC members -- do you have any likely places to wheel in the "Don't Tread on Me" state?

I know of a SICK place in Shapleigh....lots of rocks and make it as easy or as hard as you want...

http://community.webshots.com/user/tozovr

Check out the Laborday and LB2 albums...that was this place. Bout an hour from Ports...
RJ

glad to see folks are paying attention... SE Chapter will trade ya Maine for Florida and the upper half of Mississippi...

18 years ago on the Bangor to Calais road (9?) at 0-dark-30, I met my first bear...I was stopped to 'defuel' and smoke a doob while Dad was asleep in the P seat. Yogi must have smelled skunk and wandered up. I screamed like a schoolgirl and we parted ways in a hurry.

Lets get busy with some 'politickin' to find some other places to wheel in Maine. Eagles route sounds nice but there must be some great other roads way up by Moosehead Lake/ Mt Khatadin.

Next trip, I want to go fishing with Bigfoot...

Woody

http://www.northeastonlinewheelers.org/yabbse/index.php?board=5

The NEOW guys run stuff up in N. Maine once or twice a year...the wife's family has a place up in Brownsville Jct, so I'm there quite a bit....

RJ

Woody...too funny.

Eagle, i'v spent alot of time up in the Allagash area. It's paper company property and trails shoot off everywhere.

One of my fav camping spots is west of Clayton Lake. Moody Bridge.

Back