• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ caliper brackets on early XJ D30?

ScottRoz

NAXJA Forum User
Perhaps Mark from ORGS might know this answer???

It seems that WJ caliper brackets are bolted to the knuckle.
The early XJ caliper brackets are also bolted to the knuckle.
Any chance that these two brackets could be swapped?

The whole WJ knuckle swap is fairly pricey and I think it would also require new unit bearings for someone that has the early XJ unit bearings (mine happen to be less than a year old)

Scott

With the old two piece design of the knuckles you also have the option of fabbing up a bracket that bolts on and adapts any style of caliper that fits in your wheel size. May be cheaper if the WJ calipers don't bolt right up.

I'm not so sure that the brackets would be easy to fab up.
Doesn't the part that the brake pads slide on also need to be a part of this bracket?
In other words, it does not seem like just fabbing a flat plate or something that allows you to only bolt on the caliper itself.

Scott

Scott,

Haven't messed with that before, thought about it but it always came back to the steering issues.

Going thru all that work just for calipers without bigger rotors and steering changes didn't ever make sense to me.

I'm sure with the right machining it could be done, but unless you machine stuff yourself it's oing to get expensive quick!

IMO save up for the whole WJ thing and get ALL the bennifits of the setup. You can find lots of used stuff out there a lot cheaper than new stuff.

mark
orgs mfg

Ball_010sm.jpg

This pic shows a good shot of the part of the knuckle that would have to be fabbed to run some other kind of calipers and pads.
A modified caliper bracket could let you run some different calipers with the stock pads and rotors....

I have a set of WJ calipers and old style brackets. I was thinking the same thing but they will not bolt up, you would need to fax a bracket. I may still fiddle with it but I think the solution is gonna be to just get the WJ knuckles like Mark said. the improvement in braking would still be worth making them work but might as well get better steering geometry also.

Back