• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Art's 87

Art101

NAXJA Forum User
Well my 01 is built up pretty nice on long arms, chromos, 4.56s, lockers, 35s, etc. but i cant really wheel it hard cuz its my daily driver. Well my buddy has an 87 that was built up a little bit. When I got my plasma cutter he got excited, decided to boatside it, cut the sides off and gave up. $250 later its mine. Since the sides were already chopped off I started the boatside. I'm doing the cage next, and then getting some dodge balljoint one tons under there.

Here is what the jeep looked like before getting cut up,
69536c9a.jpg

and now with the beginnings of the boat side... there is a ton of tube work to come, still waiting on the notcher though

16cae755.jpg

e28db7e1.jpg

87be766c.jpg

585be217.jpg

yeah its definitely up there pretty high, but i like where it sits... the cage work with the boatside all together should be pretty cool looking when its all done

picked up some one tons for it... 78-79 dana 60 front, kingpin, 4.10s, discs, high pinion, complete... also a rear sixty that i'm trading for a 14 bolt

Those sides almost look like half doors.

yeah i'd prefere just to link it for that, but it would just be a lot cheaper/faster to run leafs outback for a while... i just wanna get it wheelable!

So i've been exploring my options with this rear 60, not sure if i'm gonna run it. The good thing about it is i am pretty sure its the perfect perch width, obviously its got 4.10s to match the front, and good ground clearance. I'd love to make it a balling 35 spline 60, but this thing is a budget build/learning tool for me and thats a lot of $$$ when i could throw in a cheap 14 bolt and not worry about its strength, but start worrying about its ground clearance. I plan on running 40" ltbs if all goes well. How well would that 30 spline full floated rear 60 hold up? Should i just throw in some 30 spline chromos, weld it, disc brake it, and run it? The chromos would only be about $300, and I would think they could handle a 40" tire. Down the road when i throw some pimp parts gears and all that into these axles i could do the 35 spline carrier and machine out the spindles and have a pretty bitchin 60 rear. Suggestions? My hole thing is do i really need a big ass 14 bolt? If i can make the 60 work without breaking the bank i'd like to do that

IMO it depends on how you wheel, if you are a hammer the throttle until it goes kind of person then you may want to build a shaved 14 bolt. I have seen stock 60 hold up in mud trucks with 44 boggers. i would imagine behind a 4.0L a 60's and a softer foot would be more than enough. but that is just my .02. hope it helps

we'll see what happens... the whole goal for this one is to not get wheeled lightly at all... if that means a 14 bolt, well then i'll have to.... but i'd love to make this 60 work without oodles of $$$$ into it

The only guy I know that regularly breaks shafts in his 60 always breaks them when he is really hopping on it. The whole jeep starts bucking and then snap. You can tell he is going to break something before it actually breaks. If you use throttle control a 60 should be fine for most wheeling, and if you do break a shaft, you can upgrade to alloy's

I think a non 35 spline D60 is worthless. The shafts are not any bigger than a D44 and you have less clearence. This is coming froma guy with a shaved 14bolt so whatever. And a 14bolt isnt much bigger ground clearence wise. Get a D70 and shave it to match a 60 if you want. And the front d60, same outer sized shafts a D44 if it has 30 spline stuff. I can find you a 14bolt with 4.10s up here if you want.

Budget Wrench a part is like $125ish I believe. I picked mine up out of somebody's yard for $30. And Dillon, but I know what you were going for!

Back