• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusting hydraulic clutch ??

Anthropy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ with a 5 speed manual trans. The last few months, I have noticed that when I shift, I can feel the gears taking a few extra miliseconds to interlock - Instead of a nice normal shift.

I have checked my clutch fluid resivoir and it is full. Is there a linkage adjustment that needs to be done. How about clutch wear?

I am hoping that I do not have bad syncros (sp?) in my transmission as that would be bad.

Also, do the '96's have the plastic shield around the clutch fan. I never thought to notice before. Then had to I replaced my electric fan and then spotted the rectangular tabs at the bottom of the radiator mount that are a match for the ones that hold the bottom of the electric fan in place.

Tom R. Dennis

The hydraulic clutch is not adjustable. You might try bleeding it to see if that helps. Be very careful opening the bleeder screw that you don't break it off.

Anthropy said:
Also, do the '96's have the plastic shield around the clutch fan. I never thought to notice before. Then had to I replaced my electric fan and then spotted the rectangular tabs at the bottom of the radiator mount that are a match for the ones that hold the bottom of the electric fan in place.

Tom R. Dennis

Yes the are suppose to have a fan shroud around the mechanical fan.

About the only other thing you can do without going inside is to change the tranny oil.
Might help, if it's been a while and the problem is the syncros.

'96 = 8 years = ~ 120k miles? Could be syncros, especially if:
1. The truck has been roughly shifted; and,
2. It's most noticable in the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, which are more heavily used than 1-2 or 4-5.

Back