• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear wheel bearings (axle bearings)

desertjeeper

NAXJA Member #1195
I have a rear axle seal leaking and thought I would go ahead and replace both wheel bearings and both seals at the same time but the bearings I bought from Autozone aren't the same as the ones that are in there now.

What I have in there is a normal looking wheel bearing (conical bearings on a tapered race). What I got from Autozone is somewhat different (straight race and cylindrical bearings). They say this is the only bearing listed. Is this the correct bearing or at least a suitable replacement?

Oh yeah It's a '87 D44

Also they say I need an inner and outer seal but I only have one seal installed on the outboard side of the bearing. What gives with this second seal?

the D44 A-10 bearing can be a conical or a roller style, they will interchange.

make sure they didn't give you a bearing for a c-clip D35... it is a roller style but it will not have an inner race or a retaining collar.

The late model D44s only use the outter seal...many seal catalogs will still list the inner seal, but you will not need it, nor is the axle tube machined for a seal.

Thanks for the answers, The part number of the bearings I have is CBR-10 which seems to be the correct part, and it does have a retaining collar. Looks like I'm good to go, I also found another post that mentions either type of bearing as acceptable.

Thanks again, I will go ahead and install this stuff when I get a chance, Right now I have a rear drum brake that is grabby (if that is a word) because it is soaked with gear oil.

Back