• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel U-Joint

ken johnson

NAXJA Forum User
My 89xj 4wd needs the right front wheel u-joint replaced. Can any one give me instructions for removal? Does the front chunk have to be opened to release the shaft? Is this a hard project to complete? Thanks guys.

ken johnson said:
My 89xj 4wd needs the right front wheel u-joint replaced. Can any one give me instructions for removal? Does the front chunk have to be opened to release the shaft? Is this a hard project to complete? Thanks guys.

Check out http://www.madxj.com/ in the Tech area under Axles.

It's not too bad after the first time but that hub assembly can be a pita to get off the first time. You'll need a 36mm socket & a breaker bar for the axle nut.( A good sized torque wrench will aid reassembly.) Metric twelve point sockets for the hub or caliper bolts.

If you have some spare bolts that you can toss away & will fit the back of the hub assembly, you can put those in and beat on those with a hammer to loosen the hub.

When I did it, I used a flat chisel, propane torch and a big f'n hammer. Just don't over do it. I got one side off without destroying the dust shield & totaled the other side dust shield using the chisel to loosen the hub assembly. (There are some indentations on the hub where ya can get the chisel to start BETWEEN the hub & the knuckle - just work yer way around the hub a 1/16" at a time & the hub will just pop right out.) Torch heat will break rust loose. (A little emory cloth & grease on reassembly there will help the next time around.)

Consider replacing hubs if ya have hi-miles on them - your call there. Check for wobbles in hub prior to removing wheel while tire is jacked off ground.
Cheapest for hub assembly I've seen is around $80 online & $108 @ Advance Auto... each side. HTH

You don't have to take the hub assembly off of the shaft, it is easier to work with if you do, but they can be a pita to get off. You just pull the whole assembly out of the knuckle. You will need a 12 or 13mm 12 point socket for the hub bolts, don't remember which size though. You also have the two bolts on the caliper, and then tie it out of the way and pull the rotor. That is about it for disassembly.

Personally, I hate using a chisel in a situation like this.

I have a set of sacrificial bolts for just this application. Remove the 3 original 12 point bolts and set them aside. Thread in the sacrificials (you'll only need the 2 lowers) and leave 1/4" left. Use a Ford wrench (sledge hammer!) on the heads. Yes, you *WILL* mushroom them, this is why you use sacrificials.

Goober up the mating surface with Never-Seez when you reassemble it.

BTW, torque on the axle nut is 175 ft./lbs. Have a BIG torque wrench handy.

NotoriousDUG has similar method that I haven't tried. It uses longer sacrificial bolts. Thread them in, and use the power steering to pop the hub loose by butting the sacrificial bolt up against the inner C of the knuckle. GENTLY! I suspect that it would be very easy to jam or bend on.

The MadXJ site has a good write-up for doing most of this.

anyone know if NAPA carries Spicer joints? I cant find them online. do I ask for the spicer part #?

I like to get info myself from people who have done things as well.

I also recommend having at least a haynes/chiltons for your vehicle, and definitely recommend having a factory service manual.

I find my 96 XJ service manual(for the 96 XJ I used to have), is very useful for any year 96 and older.

NAPA carries spicer stuff, I've purchased spicer joints from them before.

Teron

Back