• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gauge cluster swap

onetallmj

NAXJA Forum User
My MJ has the idiot lights so I am gonna buy the cluster with the gauges and do the swap. I have an automatic with column shift. The cluster is coming out of a manual, same year and engine size though

My question: My current gas gauge has the little window for PRND321 and I am pretty sure the new tach won't have this window. Is there a cable or something that moves the needle and can I just leave it disconnected when I swap gauges?

thanks

Wade

Yes, there is a cable that drops out the bottom center of the cluster and pushes onto the plastic housing of the steering column that moves with the shift lever. If you remove the small dash trim directly underneath the column and shine a flashlight into the right-hand side of the opening you can see it, it looks like a spring steel u-nut with fishing line attached to it. Slide it off and it will come out with the cluster when you remove it.

This was the best (and only) mod I've done to the truck!!

I did the same thing. It is amazing how many people rely on the indicator to know waht gear they are in. Anybody that has driven my MJ asks how you tell waht gear it is in. I am happy with it, it really looks a lot better than the original cluster.
Dustin

LT1XJ said:
It is amazing how many people rely on the indicator to know waht gear they are in. Anybody that has driven my MJ asks how you tell waht gear it is in. Dustin

I thought about that before I did the swap, and with some cutting, grinding, and drilling with the dremel tool, I have the shift indicator from my original idiot light cluster (87 newer style) installed into the replacement gauge cluster (84-86 style).

Back