• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 AC compressor noise?

Ax15xj

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got a 99 xj, and shortly after, I put on a pair of Browndog Poly engine mounts. I'm trying to figure out if 99s have louder AC compressors. It definitely idles with more vibrations when the AC is on.

Hard to explain, but it's almost as if 'vroom vroom vroom' gets more intense as far as vibration levels and noise levels when the AC is on. I understand Poly mounts will transfer more of this stuff, I just want to make sure that my compressor is not on its way out. No codes. No metal grinding noise or belt squeel.

Just gets irritating at stop lights since the fan kicks on and off every 15 seconds.

Is the vibrations only when the ac is on? And does it feel like you can feel the engine more after the motor mount change? That's probably a side effect of the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you had any ac leaks?

If not I wouldn't worry about it, unless the compressor is dramatically worse.
If you have had a leak you've probably lost oil and may need to get a shop to add it or DIY.

Have you had any ac leaks?

If not I wouldn't worry about it, unless the compressor is dramatically worse.
If you have had a leak you've probably lost oil and may need to get a shop to add it or DIY.

That was my thought as well. I'd also make sure the mounting bolts are tight and that the pulley isn't bent or warped or wobbly.

I recently got a 99 xj, and shortly after, I put on a pair of Browndog Poly engine mounts. I'm trying to figure out if 99s have louder AC compressors. It definitely idles with more vibrations when the AC is on.
Part of the noise issue are caused the Brown Dog mounts. The poly bushings are very stiff and transfer a lot noise, the rubber bushings are a little softer and not as noisy.
No matter how they are adjusted, there will be more noise and vibration, compared to the OEM mounts. You can feel and hear things that were never noticeable before.
It's the nature of the solid mount, doesn't matter if rubber or polyurethane bushing are used. On a heavily off roaded XJ, they make perfect sense, for a mostly street driven XJ, they are overkill.
I do like how the BDs tighten up the driveline, making it feel more directly connection to the throttle.

If it's an aftermarket compressor, that would explain it... bought a 2000 with a bad compressor, tossed my friend (owns a shop) the keys and said "fix", he decided to put a reman compressor in it rather than swap in the one from my '99, gawd it sounds like a bucket of bolts. Cools though.

Back