• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beating a dead horse, headlights

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I want to upgrade
My headlights to h4 or led and I've read a few older threads but nothing new to this year than the high beam predator headlights.
So what h4 conversions are best as of now? The auto pals I've heard mix reviews. Hella isn't dot approved. Ipf? I'd like to upgrade with something with a great cutoff as I don't want to be that guy lol suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use whatever H-4 set-up that fits your budget. AutoPal are a good value for the price, but they are not Hella/Cibie/IPF quality. LED are still too expensive if you ask me.

Any thing about the rampage housing?
b585f09c7788d7352365e05a2e698b0a.png

Anything H-4 that is made from plastic, has Crystal or Diamond in the name, or is car show kewl, will be worthless junk. Somebody else can confirm or correct, but I think Rampage are glass lenses in plastic housings.

Upgrading the wire harness even makes stock head lamps noticeably brighter.

Last edited:
I have IPF H4 housings, hella bulbs, and upgraded wiring in my XJ.
My MJ currently has upgraded harness and stock replacement Sylvania sealed beams. With the harness they are white and bright!
I do however have some H4 housings and same hella bulbs for my MJ. So, when one or both HL fail. In go my H4 housings.

I believe Cibie are the best, according to the lighting master Daniel Stern. But they are fairly expensive.

I run Hella E-Codes because they are accepted under the British Columbia, Canada motor vehicle regulations. If E-codes are not accepted, and you need to pass an inspection (I doubt they would check this anyways) then there are Hella's available per DOT standards.

I love the Hellas, they have survived some hard rock hits from the mountain pass highways we have here during winter. The pattern is amazing and the standard Hella bulbs they come with are pretty nice.

DOT doesn't actually do any approving. The manufacturer simply stamps it DOT to say they should conform to the standards.

DOT doesn't actually do any approving. The manufacturer simply stamps it DOT to say they should conform to the standards.

this is a huge bit of information that so many people don't seem to understand.

... DOT doesn't actually do any approving. The manufacturer simply stamps it DOT to say they should conform to the standards.

You can buy DOT approved, or E-Code/ECE housings. E-Code/ECE have a better light pattern and sharper cut-off.

You can buy DOT approved, or E-Code/ECE housings. E-Code/ECE have a better light pattern and sharper cut-off.

its the "approved" part that is innacurate.

DOT doesn't approve shit. they set guidelines, MFGs must meet those guidelines to be road legal.

its the "approved" part that is innacurate.

DOT doesn't approve shit. they set guidelines, MFGs must meet those guidelines to be road legal.

So technically the rampage, hella, ipf, are legal? Or can a cop get me on technicality?

Not sure how you drive your jeep. I have a set of pilots. I think that's the brand. Got them from jcwhitney. Running them in my 94 Chevy G20 van. They're pretty cheap.

They have polycarbonate lenses and plastic housings. The max wattage is 55/60. I was reading about headlights and read that the glass lenses actually distort the light more than the poly.

Obviously I don't off road my van. But they've been in there like 8 or 9 years and they are just now starting to yellow slightly. And it's been a few years since I drove my van very far daily. But I definitely put some miles in with those headlights. They never cracked or pitted.

I also used a set of bulbs from Napa. They're called bright lites. Forget what brand. Anyway they're a major improvement over sealed. They also throw a pretty good low beam pattern.

Back