• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need tires for my daily driver

hansj3

NAXJA Forum User
at least ive narrowed down size.

ive got a mostly stock 97 xj, 4x4, 3.08 gears.... ax15

i have decided on 30x9.5 r15 because of the crappy 3.08 gears. i still get 20 mpg though.
im looking at firestone destanation at, general grabber at2, or kumho road venture at51.

i could use input as to what does best in ice and snow. rutted fire roads are about as far off road as mn gets, without going up to the iron range, and they all look ok for that

I have the hankook atm on my 98 xj good tire for the money.

Cooper Discoverer SNOW tires.

They're studdable, well siped too. Only problem is that they do NOT have a mileage rating warranty. Pretty much a "snow" tire aka winter tire.

But $512 OTD with a road hazard blanket warranty.

America's Tire Co.

Kumho Road Venture at51 are excellent snow tires. Firestone Destination A/T's suck.

Grabber AT2 all the way.

I'm on my 3rd set; first a 235, then two 30" sets. I have consistently gotten 50k-60k out of them. They are so surefooted in snow and ice I rarely use 4x4, do not hydroplane in rain, and have not left me stuck off road. The only problem I have is the sticky SC clay mud, but I steer clear of it. Very low road noise at all speeds, and balance smoothly.

Ive got Cooper Discover AT3 on my DD and I love them! Do great in snow and rain! Ive even done some minor wheeling with them and they grab!

Best thing is i got all 4 for $400 delivered to my house.

Either the grabbers, or Kelly safari TSRs I had the TSRs for 4 years, kept them rotated and still had 60% tread left. They done great in snow, trails and have good road manners.

Had a Set of AT/S-P235/75R15XL Yokohama Geolander AT's on the Rear of my 96 2Dr.
Lasted Longer & Performed Better than Any Other Tires I've had on it!

I Am Seriously Considering getting Another Full Set of 4 off ebay for Under $475!
Great Ride & Excellent Grip, On & Off Road! Real 6 Ply Too!
Quiet On Road & Excellent in Heavy Rain!
Nice thing is that the Tire Height is 29.7" @ 33psi (Almost 30")
I've Run them on the Highway @ 40psi & Ht Is 30".
Too Hard for DD, But I Gained an mpg or 2 for a Long Drive on the Interstate Hwy.

Another consideration would be Toyo's Open Country AT II's.
(Also 6 Ply, Highly Rated & Very Similar/If Not Equal)

UncleSarge58

Last edited:
Had a Set of AT/S-P235/75R15XL Yokohama Geolander AT's on the Rear of my 96 2Dr.
Lasted Longer & Performed Better than Any Other Tires I've had on it!
Roads I Lived on Slam Wore them Out (Took 3 yrs & All Other Tires Only Lasted 1 or 2)

I've had the Stock Goodyear Wranglers (Wore Out FAST & Flats Every Week)
Old Mfg Uniroyal AT-P235/75R15LT (Great Tires/Mfg in USA)
New Mfg Uniroyal AT-P235/75R15LT (Suk Bad / Chunk Out Fast on Rocky Roads)
Nexen MT (Same Size) Lasted 2yrs & then Wore Ok.
But, Got So Out of Balance, On the Front, that I got Death Wobble Real Bad, Over 45mph!

I Am Seriously Considering getting Another Full Set of 4 of the Yokohamas, off ebay for Under $475!
Great Ride & Excellent Grip, On & Off Road! Real 6 Ply Too!
Quiet On Road & Excellent in Heavy Rain!
Nice thing is that the Tire Height is 29.76" @ 33psi (Almost 30")
I've Run them on the Highway @ 40psi & Ht Is 30" + .
Too Hard for DD, But I Gained an mpg or 2 for a Long Drive on the Interstate Hwy.

Another consideration would be Toyo's Open Country AT II's.
(Also 6 Ply, Highly Rated & Very Similar/If Not Equal)

UncleSarge58

Last edited:
AT2's, all the way!

Anything from snow to sand, they perform and make it look easy. Quiet, smooth, durable.

I have the 30x9.5-15 on my bone stock 94 and the 31x10.5-16 on my slightly lifted 90.

The 90 never gets driven, its restored and used for parades, shows, cruise nights.

But the 94 gets me around everyday, used for light wheeling and exploring, snow, mud, sand, highway and back roads.

I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3's. Great tire for the money. If you want to spend a bit more and have a need for something more aggressive you can't go wrong with the General AT2's or new BFG All-Terrain KO2's. My dad has the BFG KO2's on his WK2 Grand Cherokee and they are awesome in the snow and ride very nice considering how aggressive they are.

New here but Walmart has the standard Goodyear Wrangler in 235 75 15 for cheap I have them on my XJ DD sport and they have worn well for four years at over half tread with 300000 on them. That said I have the hankook Dynapro at s on my ford ranger and love them for a road tire with a bit of AT tread

Back