• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shift handle dismantle?

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
How do you get the top off the shifter handle of a 96 XJ? Been trying to take the center console out along w/ the square plastic plate the handle goes through.

p34Z5Jy.jpg

So in popping it straight up somehow this plastic part of the button mechanism got broken. JYs around here don't let you go in and prob won't want to retrieve something like this.

Should I just get the part number from a dealer then search for it on ebay?

XrkyoXL.jpg

The shifter insert may or may not be available from the dealer. It's a super common JY part. I would suggest if you still have the small part that broke off on top just glue it back with some JB Weld or Gorillia Glue. It just drops in. The "T" handle is difficult to get off, the best way I've found to do it in my XJ is to put the transmission in 1st gear and pull it straight up and off, it takes some force to do it through.

...and when pulling on the handle, give it some room. Don't have your face in the "line of fire" or you'll be nursing a shiner, at best.

Back