• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-Bolt Torque Specs

XJ_Lars

NAXJA Forum User
I Have attempted to search the previous forums, however could not find an answer... Do anyone know the proper torque specs for the U-bolts on a 93 XJ

I'm about to install a 3" kit, just want to have all my ducks in a row

Thanks!

Jeremy

It's around 50-55 ft. lbs. On a 2000 it's 52. I've usually done 55 ft. lbs.
EDIT: From what I can find out, a 1990 is 90 ft. lbs., and 1991 + is 52. I may be wrong, but that's according to the Mitchell database here at work.

Last edited:
The FSM gives 52 foot pounds on an 88. Should be the same.

Several aftermarket U bolt kits I have bought listed a much higher torque, around 100.

What ever you use, make sure to retorque after around a hundred miles.

TheNerd said:
Yikes! I guess I'd better find some better sources of info!
Not necessarily. As Old Man pointed out, different brands will have different specs. If you're having them made, ask what torque figure to use.

1993 FSM sez 52 pound-feet.

Torque with the vehicle resting ON THE GROUND.

Retorque at ~100miles

If you have instructions that say to use a different torque spec, follow those.

If you use never-seez (like I do...) reduce torque value (OEM or given) by HALF.

I've been collecting FSM's and collating the data, once I get it coded into HTML, it will be up on my website for reference...

5-90

Just torque them to 95lbs.ft. and retorque them in a week.
Don't forget to recheck them periodically.

Retorquing after applying loctite is questionable. The big problem is that the bolts tend to stretch immediately and then for some time afterwards. Hence the retorque requirement. If you could loctite them for only the retorquing it would be nice, but if you loosen them, you have defeated a major portion of the reason to retorque them. I double nut them to be safe. Mine are 1/2 - 20, the same as your lug nuts, so I put an extra set of lug nuts on as jam nuts. Then if a lug nut is lost, I can always snag one.

X2 on not using the locktite. Locktite is no good for bolts that stretch such as head bolts and u-bolts. The FSM says 52 foot lbs for the XJ and 90 foot lbs for the YJ. So anywhere there in between sould be good. I went 65 foot lbs and that worked for me.

OT said:
Besides, Jon, you put anti-seize on everything.....

Not necessarily - just stuff I don't want to stick. Most of the time, I put it on parts that don't have threads (tie rod end studs, ball joint studs - the only threaded part I really use never-seez on is wheel lugs...)

Sometime early on, I just learned to NEVER install a bolt "dry" - modify torque values accordingly (no change for LocTite, -1/3 for engine oil or grease, -1/2 for never-seez) and it has served me well.

Probably the only thing I don't use LocTite or never-seez on regularly is brass on steel - which doesn't seize to begin with...

5-90

I use the Ny-Lock nuts and anti-sieze,the plates start to bend at anything over 60 ft lbs anyway.
Wayne

Back