• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Local 4 Wheeler family needs help (copied from Tech Forum)

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Hello All. Hope Everyone is doing well. As those of you I've met over the past couple of years know, I belong to a 4x4 Club in the Atlanta area called the Georgia Bounty Runners. It is a great group of people, more like a big family, and many of you have met some of them on the trails over the years.

One of our members, Robin Payne, was critically injured in an automobile accident Tuesday night. The report is that she hydroplaned while driving her Ford Explorer and slammed into a tree, bounced off and then slammed into another tree. She was rushed to the trauma unit at Grady Memorial in downtown Atlanta, where they found her to have a severe skull fracture, broken bones in her neck and cracked/disentegrated discs in the upper, middle and lower portions of her spine. The doctor's told her family that she may be paralyzed from the waist down, at best, but they won't know the full extent of her injuries until she comes out of the coma she lapsed into after the accident. Her family was told that she would need spinal surgery once her condition stabilizes and until then, she must remain totally motionless so as to prevent further damage to ther spine.

Robin is a 32 year old mother of 2 (Brannon-14 and Brittany-13). Her husband's name is Ralph, who is a mechanic at a small shop north of Atlanta. Robin and Ralph are those rare, big-hearted types who have always pitched in to help anyone and everyone in need. Ralph has spent many an hour on the trails in north Georgia, NC (Tellico), TN (Windrock, Monteagle, etc.) helping out other drivers who have broken down while riding. I saw him spend virtually all night on a snowy night at Tellico helping a family whose vehicle had broken and required welding and various parts replaced. He used many of his own parts as well as his food to get them back on the trails and on their way home and never gave it a second thought. Ralph is an hourly employee and will not be paid while he attends to Robin and his children. As is the case with many right now, the company Robin works for has been slowly going out of business for the past several months and has virtually eliminated any benefits they once offered their employees. This being the case, I don't believe Robin has any health insurance at this point as she has been seeking other employment as well as trying to find health insurance for her family through 3rd party sources.

Please forward this message to anyone you know who might be in a position to offer prayer and/or financial support. There is no doubt that their medical bills will be staggering. Becuase of this, a fund has been set up at the following address for which those who wish to contribute can send funds:

Bank of North Georgia
Jay Bird FBO Robin Payne
11 Piedmont Center
Suite 110
Atlanta Ga 30305
Attn Susan Lane

Those in our sport share a special bond and a camaraderie that you just don't find most in most other groups. We know that any of us can mean the difference between someone getting home or not. That's why I wanted to make you aware of this situation and ask that you please keep Robin and her family in your thoughts and prayers as they face this difficult and heartbreaking situation.

Thank you!
Ric Barton
96 XJ

Back