• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird howl from front driver side wheel area.

snakemanc6

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I'm hoping that someone might be able to provide some insight into an issue I'm having. A couple of weeks ago I started getting a noise that sounds like its coming from my from driver side wheel well. I found a video on YouTube that sounds exactly like what I'm hearing, and will link to it below (if that's not allowed please let me know and I'll take it down).

https://youtu.be/FpZjSh9d_vA

https://youtu.be/ZLJ_Y_Dc_ew

For a little background. The noise is solely dependent on vehicle speed. It starts at about 15-20mph, and slightly changes pitch as I go faster. It doesnt stop until I drop below that speed.

Turning, braking, shifting to neutral, nothing changes the sound aside from vehicle speed.

I've checked brakes for anything abnormal, don't detect any play in the wheel bearing, diff fluidnis good and fresh.

Any info you all might have to share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Gotta be the unit bearing. Open diffs?

Jack up front end and spin that tire. Shouldn't give you much resistance. Listen to it and feel if there are any rough spots in rotating the tire. Spin it around a couple times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Gotta be the unit bearing. Open diffs?

Jack up front end and spin that tire. Shouldn't give you much resistance. Listen to it and feel if there are any rough spots in rotating the tire. Spin it around a couple times.

Should say it could be the unit bearing. Brake drag is another thought but sounds like you checked that.

That first video is very metallic in nature. I would wonder if the disc brake dust shield might not be in contact with the rotor.

The second video is not quite so high pitched. I would be looking at wheel bearings, or perhaps even U-joints (axle or driveshaft).

That first video is very metallic in nature. I would wonder if the disc brake dust shield might not be in contact with the rotor.

The second video is not quite so high pitched. I would be looking at wheel bearings, or perhaps even U-joints (axle or driveshaft).

Both videos sounded like something rubbing to me. Bearings tend to start sounding like an airplane taking off. I've had rocks get stuck in between the dust shield and the rotor as well.

I recently started to replace a bearing unit on an equinox only to discover that it was the little dust shield tab on the lower ball joint rubbing against the rotor. No idea how that got bent. I was absolutely convinced it was the hub since it changed when turning.

Thanks for the info everyone, i really appreciate the input.

I noticed in the comments on one of those videos that the poster mentioned that he sprayed down a lot of his drivetrain with PB Blaster and the noise went away... I really didn't think anything of it, but figured what the hell.

The past couple of days I've hit all of the u-joints with PB blaster. Last night on the trip home, the noise just suddenly dropped dramatically. If i listen carefully i can still hear it, but its drastically less and at a smaller speed range.

I doubt that its a permanent solution, but seems too much of a coincidence to not be the u-joints now.

What do you guys think?

And thanks again for the feedback. Ive not had the XJ long, but wanted one for years. These forums have been a big help in shaking down some of the demons on my new ride.

Back