• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible cracked head?

Luigi1285

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up an 01 Cherokee few months ago. P.O. claimed had a new motor put in 35k miles ago. I noticed coolant was disappearing. Checked oil it’s clean. Exhaust isn’t steamy when warmed up. Can’t find any leaks. Not really any milky gunk under the cap. Oil pressure is good. Any other ideas on where to go next or what is going on ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I can say is look out, that's how mine started!

Change the radiator cap. A bad one will cause a slow but continuous flow in and out of the overflow bottle where the steam escapes.

Don't play around, Have the cooling system pressure tested ASAP, It could be anything big or small, But you do not want coolant screwing up your engine.
Even a small head leak will show in the oil (Milky cloudy oil) or under the cap. Good luck

I'd get the cooling system pressure tested. Sometimes when heads blow they start with a small crack that once heated closes up. Then once cold opens up and lets coolant in. This will at some random point turn into a full crack in a fraction of a second.

Get it tested and if it's bad make sure you replace the head with an 0630 casting head

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Where was the coolent leaking from? Heater? raditor? hoses? I like the cap idea.. But you may not have a head issue if you dont see the milky oil on the cap. Oh, and if you replace the head get the 0331 from clearwater. it's the correct fit and casting is thicker.

Ordered the analysis kit. Will pick up a pressure tester today. Harbor freight has them for 90-20%

Put 16 lbs of pressure on the system. Found a dripping radiator hose. Thought I was good until I looked through the oil cap. Saw a tiny drop of coolant. Took about 10 minutes to drop 1 psi

I’m gonna take a guess that it’s getting burnt off some where I put about a half gallon of coolant in over the last 2 weeks or so and my oil level hasn’t moved.

Fix the leaking hose before you go wild with everything else. A dripping hose can cause way more than the loss you have seen, so I think you probably found the issue.

Thanks that’s what I’m hoping. Put another turn on the clamp no more drip. Gonna pick up a new radiator cap today also they are cheap enough and mine is looking a little worn.

...... I looked through the oil cap. Saw a tiny drop of coolant.......
Are you sure it was coolant? Moisture condensing there is normal, so if it wasn't green it's OK...

If you're losing that much coolant through a crack or failed headgasket, you'll usually see soot or bubbles in the overflow tank when idleing.

Well drove for 2 days still loosing coolant. I can smell it under the hood just can’t find the damn leak

Are you sure it was coolant? Moisture condensing there is normal, so if it wasn't green it's OK...

If you're losing that much coolant through a crack or failed headgasket, you'll usually see soot or bubbles in the overflow tank when idleing.

No spot or bubbles in the over flow.

Luigi,

When I purchased my 88XJ years ago, it would occasionally blow a puff of white smoke out the exhaust on hot days. The head gasket would rise ever so slightly to release coolant into the combustion chamber and then reseal itself. Solution? I pulled the head, had it pressure-tested/resurfaced/reinstalled properly (i.e.used aluminium paint on block/head/gasket-an old hotrodder's tip) and no more problems.

When I bought my 00XJ years ago, I was constantly loosing coolant. I pulled the head, had it pressure-tested/resurfaced/properly reinstalled(i.e. used aluminium paint on block/head/gasket- an old hotrodder's tip) and had no more problems. Remember, when retorquing the head, one head bolt(IIRC upfront/driver's side) is torqued to a lower torque than the rest. Double-check a manual to make sure which head bolt gets the lower torque.

Best regards,

CJR

Thank you very much for the info! I might have finally caught a break. I sat there with the motor running. I gave it a rev and could see a drop of coolant from the water pump. Could the water pump be on it’s way out and dumping through the week hole when the engine is under old ?

Yes, that is a very common place for coolant leakage. The seal gets worn and allows coolant to weep out the hole. Usually the leaking coolant evaporates and goes unseen, but sometimes you can see where it has run down underneath the waterpump housing.

Gonna order a new pump this week any one use the flowkooler pump ? Any recommendations would be much appreciated

Back