• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED HELP Possible Trans Problem

black2door

NAXJA Forum User
So today when I first drove my jeep I noticed that the transmission was really hard to shift. When I came to the end of my nieghborhood and went to go into first it would not go it made a horrible grind so I let it into nuetral and stopped. When it was at a full stop I could get it into first, but it took some force. It seems to be fine when I get it going its just the shifting thats HARD. From 1st to 2nd its pretty hard but from 2nd to 3rd its better and then 3rd to 4th it seems fine. But then if I try to put it in first while im moving It grinds. Does anyone know what might be wrong?
1997 140,000 miles AX-15 4.0

Last edited:
And now just a few minutes ago I go out and move my jeep around in the driveway and on the way up the driveway it spudders and almost stalls even when the clutch was in. Then when I shut it off it smells like somethings burning! Please any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like your clutch has problems. Is the fluid level in the master cylinder low? I think those later AX-15s have an external slave cylinder, is it leaking? If the clutch pedal sits nice and high with no sponginess, the disc or pressure plate may be coming apart.

So I didnt drive the Jeep any today. After school I started it and went around the block and it was having quite a hard time. I also noticed that for some reason when I turned the wheel to turn far enough it kind of growled up front. I did have it in 4WD over the past 2 weeks but it was really slick out. Could that do something?? It almost feels like im in 4WD when Im not. I put the t-case in neutral and it did work. Im really confused. It was still grinding today too. Does my Jeep just hate me and decided to break like 3 things at once or something? I do agree with the clutch thing and my pedal is a little spongy. I checked the fluid and its FULL. Would the clutch affect everything like this. IM CONFUSED THANKS A LOT!!

I don't think it's a clutch problem. But to check, first park the XJ on level ground. Push in the clutch, put your foot on the brake, put it in first, and start it up. Once started take your foot off the brake. Does the Jeep try to move? Now, slowly let out the clutch pedal. Does the clutch grab near the bottom of the pedal throw (say the first quarter of pedal movement)? If you answered yes to either question your clutch is not disengaging properly. This is usually cause by low fluid/leak in the clutch system or bad throw out bearing. Second, and this is the fun one, push in the clutch, put the trans in 5th, apply the brake and let out the clutch. The engine should stall within a revolution or two. If it does not stall your clutch is slipping and will probably need to be replaced.

But like I said, I don't think it's the clutch. I think your hard shifting is caused by (as has been mentioned before) the wrong fluid in the trans. You want 75-90 GL-3 (maybe someone put heavier gear oil in it and it’s only showing up now because it’s cold). Or your syncros are going.

On top of that, it sounds like your transfer case is not shifting into 2HI properly and may still be in 4HI. There should be two distinct clunks as you shift from N to 2HI.

My .02

black2door said:
And now just a few minutes ago I go out and move my jeep around in the driveway and on the way up the driveway it spudders and almost stalls even when the clutch was in. Then when I shut it off it smells like somethings burning! Please any help would be appreciated.

Ok, my bad. That does sound like the clutch. :)

So I found that the jeep was still engaged in 4wd and I did get it out. So most here say its clutch time. The smell is like a friction heat smell and it comes from the engine bay, so is that the clutch I smell? THANKS

o2bgpn said:
...to check, first park the XJ on level ground. Push in the clutch, put your foot on the brake, put it in first, and start it up. Once started take your foot off the brake. Does the Jeep try to move? Now, slowly let out the clutch pedal. Does the clutch grab near the bottom of the pedal throw (say the first quarter of pedal movement)? If you answered yes to either question your clutch is not disengaging properly. This is usually cause by low fluid/leak in the clutch system or bad throw out bearing. Second, and this is the fun one, push in the clutch, put the trans in 5th, apply the brake and let out the clutch. The engine should stall within a revolution or two. If it does not stall your clutch is slipping and will probably need to be replaced.

What were the results of these tests? Does the Jeep try to move even while the clutch is pushed in?

No it doesnt try to move. But its just hard to get into gear. Today when I drove it it vibrated when I went into every gear. Should I just change the fluid?? I bought it about 4 months ago so it has not been changed. Or should I just go ahead and replace the clutch?? Then if neither of those work I could be in trouble. I do believe its the original clutch at 140,000.

It's a lot easier to just change the fluid (besides, you don't know what the last AH put in there), but it does sounds like the clutch is slipping. Your call. 140K is a lot of miles on a clutch. If you do pull the transmission and find it's not the clutch more than likely it's close to going anyway and you can rationalize your extra work as preventive maint. To give you an idea of what's involved here's a link to my clutch install: http://itsatj.com/gallery/v/MikezModifications/clutch/

It's a lot easier to just change the fluid (besides, you don't know what the last AH put in there), but it does sounds like the clutch is slipping. Your call. 140K is a lot of miles on a clutch. If you do pull the transmission and find it's not the clutch more than likely it's close to going anyway and you can rationalize your extra work as preventive maint. To give you an idea of what's involved here's a link to my clutch install: http://itsatj.com/gallery/v/MikezModifications/clutch/

Thanks a lot man. Youve been alot of help. Ive seen your write up before,very informative. I guess Ill change the clutch and fluid. If its not those I guess it sucks to be me.

Back