• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sold on the 4.0 stroker

cherokeeproject

NAXJA Forum User
ok now im sold on the stroker! thanx NHxj4x4! screw the v8! but i dont know where to start? i want the largest displacement possible any suggestions?
i got a 87 pioneer w/ 4.0

I went with a 4.6L man, there is so much info here, and just by running a google search it's not even funny. I researched this for 3 months before I started anything. Take your time, remember this is your baby, and if your going to spend the money DO IT RIGHT. I'm not saying you need to paint everything and be as anal as I was, just do it right. The biggest peice of advise I can give you LABEL EVERYTHING!! If I didn't label everything I would have been lost. You should have seen my engine bay, it was just TONS of masking tape and notes. Then I have like 30 plastic baggies, labeled, I mean down to the individual bolts. I did diagrams of any unit that had different bolts IE the water pump, I made a diagram, labled it, then labled each bolt with where it fit in the diagram.

My one grip is that I can't get the damn header to seal right, I have a clicky noise which is caused by a leak, which is really pissing me off. While I can't really say that I have tried to address it yet, I'll try to tackle that this weekend.

Also one thing I didn't do is take before pics, and I really wish I had now. Not only for the "This is what it looked like" stuff, but they would have helped in putting it all back together.

Good luck man, and just search 1st, and ask questions here.

BTW, I started here: http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html and pretty much figured out what I wanted to sink in, and went from there. Anyone good starting point is http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Stroker/Stroker.htm which links a lot of good sites in there, including Dino's site. He is a very active member here, and smarter with engines then I'll ever be

Enjoy!

Todd

You could read my stroker build-up and see what I did. I wasn't as anal as NHxj4x4 in making it look good but it turned out even better than I'd hoped (knock on wood).
I took my spare old 4.0 engine apart and it still looked remarkably good considering it had done 174k miles. It probably could have gone another 100k miles before needing a rebuild. I still haven't decided what to do with it yet but I wouldn't rule out building another stroker.

265hp@4900/325lbft@3500, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.5secs :D
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

I would build another stroker in a hearbeat. It is just a lot of fun to drive. I am very lucky I haven't gotten any tickets. I had forgotten how much fun it is to light up the tires.

Back