• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep AC R12 to 134a Conversion

tylergrant2011

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a writeup on the conversion from the old r12 to 134a. I have a 1987 Jeep Comanche that previously had air in it roughly 10 years ago or so and i am now deciding to fix it. I know i need new fittings for the high and low but can anyone tell me what parts are compatable and what parts are not under the old system with the new Freon?

what about the oils in the system. r12 uses a mineral oil. and i dont think its compatible with the r134. im not 100% on this however

I was just thinking about the oils or possibly being different because I know that some of the oils and older refrigerant had a very high toxicity and mixing the two oils together may not be a very smart move. But if I mistaken I do believe they make free on with all that can be mixed with any other type of refrigerant oil. Also does anyone know the size or rings and washers needed for every component in the AC system

As far as I remember, Ester based oil is typically used in conversions as it can tolerate mixing with mineral oil. It has been a while and I've forgotten most of what I knew about conversions. The pressure switches may also be different.

Yeah, you're gonna need to do more than that after 10 years.

I would carefully inspect all hoses and fittings for corrosion. Replace if needed.

Flush everything. Condenser, evaporator, all lines, compressor.

Replace all seals.

Replace the drier.

Reconnect using new seals.

Pull vacuum, test for leaks. Do not run system.

Add proper oil to compressor.

Charge system with R134a

Check pressures, exit temp, check for any leaks.

Here's all of mine.

ac_0038.jpg

My failed compressor

comp_failure_0048Small.jpg

Yeah, you're gonna need to do more than that after 10 years.

I would carefully inspect all hoses and fittings for corrosion. Replace if needed.

Flush everything. Condenser, evaporator, all lines, compressor.

Replace all seals.

Replace the drier.

Reconnect using new seals.

Pull vacuum, test for leaks. Do not run system.

Add proper oil to compressor.

Charge system with R134a

Check pressures, exit temp, check for any leaks.

Here's all of mine.

ac_0038.jpg

My failed compressor

comp_failure_0048Small.jpg

Do you know if the seals and o rings are standard or Metric. Also can I keep the old low pressure fill port. And looking at the pictures I see no office tube.

On the seals, I bought a "generic" kit that came with a bunch of them. I simply compared the old to new.

There's no "orifice". Its an expansion valve. It connects directly to the evaporator. In the pic above, it's the rectangular block.

According to the law, you need to change both ports to the new type to prevent accidental charging with R12 in the future. There's also a retrofit label

Your dryer may have a funky looking disconnect on it. It should look like this:

ac_0033.jpg

Make note of it's assembly and orientation. Apart it looks like this:
ac_0039Small.jpg

If you still have the isolation valves on your compressor, you're going to need 90deg adapters. There's just not enough room to add the straight ones, then connect the gauges.

ac_fitting001Small.jpg

On the seals, I bought a "generic" kit that came with a bunch of them. I simply compared the old to new.

There's no "orifice". Its an expansion valve. It connects directly to the evaporator. In the pic above, it's the rectangular block.

According to the law, you need to change both ports to the new type to prevent accidental charging with R12 in the future. There's also a retrofit label

Your dryer may have a funky looking disconnect on it. It should look like this:

ac_0033.jpg

Make note of it's assembly and orientation. Apart it looks like this:
ac_0039Small.jpg

OK I didn't realize that was an expansion valve but now I see. Would you recommend using ester oil? And do you got a part number for those 90° fittings

Any advice on getting that valve off? I bought a generic pack of green orings and oil.

Back