• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identify Renix, HO and Stroker

Sullie

NAXJA Forum User
Is there and easy way to identify which engine a vehicle hase weather its Renix, HO or Stroker.

Maybe the engine identification plates, but where are those located?

A correctly done stroker can't be identified without dropping the pan, and even then it isn't easy. You would have to get the casting numbers from the crank. Sometimes you can tell because the snout of the crank is slightly different between different castings.

A Renix era block will have a knock sensor above the drivers side engine mount. A Renix era head will have a one wire temp sensor in the driver's side rear of the head.

The throttle bodies are different between Renix and HO versions. The HO mounting is more square and has 4 holes, while the Renix is a weird triangle and has three bolts. The intakes are also significantly different and the mounting setup is different for the power steering pump.

The thermostat housing on the HO has a temp sensor, the Renix does not.

These are just a few clues. There are a ton of others.

egr on renix

a/c mounts are different

renix has a coolant bottle far top left if you look at the whole engine bay

Depending on what was changed, just the block, or the head, or nearly everything, it can be a chore nailing down exactly what engine parts are Renix and what is not. The heads have a stamping number on them. Old_man listed some real good head and block clues for sure. The exhaust manifold is a bit different the intake manifold and throttle body areas have differences, but some people swap just a block or a head, etc....

There should be some online sites that show the location and numbers for castings. I saw one for the heads I posted here recently. The valve cover and VC Vent line was also noticeably different.

All the previously posted information is good. The only other contribution I can add is the block casting number you'll find on the left/drivers side.

87-90 Renix 53005535
91-95 HO 53008405
96-98 HO 53020569
99-04 HO 53010449

I don't have the 05-06 Numbers handy, but this should help.

Back