• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power windows.

Club31XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've had problems with my power windows for a while now. They only work when it's cool outside and haven't been sitting in the sun but as soon as it gets hot outside or the keeps been sitting in direct sunlight they don't work at all. Any help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kinda vehicle ? Nearly any XJ Cherokee question may have different answers based on the model year, engine, transmission transfer case, and any modifications.

For most models years, driver door and tailgate wire harness issues are very common. Visually inpsect the door wire harness and test with a volts/ohms multi-meter. Look for chafed wire insulation, damaged wires, and failed wire splices.

If the wire harness checks out as good, the drivers door master switch is also a common failure.

What kinda vehicle ? Nearly any XJ Cherokee question may have different answers based on the model year, engine, transmission transfer case, and any modifications.

For most models years, driver door and tailgate wire harness issues are very common. Visually inpsect the door wire harness and test with a volts/ohms multi-meter. Look for chafed wire insulation, damaged wires, and failed wire splices.

If the wire harness checks out as good, the drivers door master switch is also a common failure.

It's a 1991, not sure what base model. And it's a four door

I've had problems with my power windows for a while now. They only work when it's cool outside and haven't been sitting in the sun but as soon as it gets hot outside or the keeps been sitting in direct sunlight they don't work at all. Any help appreciated
I had a similar problem couple months ago with my 97 XJ, the master window switch, on the driver's door, was failing.
Must have been a virus, my 2001's master switch died a few months earlier.
The power for all four doors goes through the master switch and is the most common window problem I have found.

Cleaning and then lubing the window tracks and drive, with a dry lubricant, helps with the window's operation and reduces the strain on the electrical.

I had a similar problem couple months ago with my 97 XJ, the master window switch, on the driver's door, was failing.
Must have been a virus, my 2001's master switch died a few months earlier.
The power for all four doors goes through the master switch and is the most common window problem I have found.

Cleaning and then lubing the window tracks and drive, with a dry lubricant, helps with the window's operation and reduces the strain on the electrical.

That is a known issue on the 97 ups. I don't believe the 96's down have the same problem.

Is it all windows from all switches or just from the drivers door? Could it be the rubber sticking to the glass and holding them up?

Do they work faster when the engine is running? What about at high idle?

Pull the connectors off of the switches and spray them with some electrical cleaner. Check all of the contacts for corrosion. Make sure they fit on snugly.

I've solved the issue. It was the master switch on the driver door. Picked one up at a local pick a part. Works great now!

Back