• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

List all of your "heat soak", "hot soak" fixes

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I recently have had this issue with my 90 RENIX after I switched to Ford injectors. Although i have the issue managed its still not cured.

Two of my co-workers have late model XJ's (00', 01') with the same symptoms and they are also getting the #3 missfire code. We have ruled out the ignition system as a possibility in both cases. The injectors are not leaking down either, tested that as well. One co-worker has tried wrapping #3 injector with heat wrap but the problem still persists.

I was hoping to compile a list of fixes for the heat soak issue with pictures if that is possible

TIA

If you have heat soak there is one and only one fix: rig your electric aux fan to run for 3-5 minutes after each engine shutdown.

There are timers available, here is one: http://www.at-fairfax.com/P1786-ELK-960.htm

Things that have been tried: wrapping the number 3 injector--fail; shielding the fuel rail and injectors from the manifold heat--fail; hood vents--fail.

Muddeprived just had a couple threads dedicated to his heat soak saga, do a search.

On the 2000 & 01 ones can we swap out the exhaust to 98 type where the catalyst is not in the engine buy ? Will that help me out with heat soak on my 2001 ? I know it will cost some $$ but can it Help ? After all is than not the problem anyway.

The fan timer eliminated the vapor-lock part of the hot soak problem in my 2001.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157617434915718/
It does not fix the under lying problem, too much heat being dumped by the two mini-cats. Removing the cats or replacing the manifold with an earlier model is not an option in California or any other state with smog inspections.

Another potential cause of vapor lock is a fuel system that does not hold pressure when the engine is turned off. A leaking injector or a faulty pressure regulator can cause the residual fuel pressure to quickly drop to zero, significantly lowering the boiling temperature of the gasoline in the fuel rail.
A fuel injection pressure gauge is handy for diagnosing this.

I will not be removing the cat just moving it somewhere else. Just like the 98 are done OR What if I move the two cat down and out of the engine bay ? I live in texas we have no smog inspections. (So Far !) Yes I like the timer. And may end up doing that. But that is not the main problem. The two cats in the engine bay is the main problem.

Ben, that's against federal law. Tough to get at those precats anyways.

xjtrailrider, I am really surprised you are getting heat soak on a '90... the fuel return style rail and lack of pre-cats should pretty much keep that from happening. Maybe the Ford style injectors soak up heat better than the OEM ones or something? Still, really odd.

i know a few guys out here running no cats on their mud boggers. and in a blind case of they do it so......it must be ok, i figured it was not against the law if your state/county does not require smog testing.

Emissions control devices on vehicles are a FEDERAL requirement, not state - only CA has more strict emissions regulations, which is why most vehicles are listed w/ "California Emissions Package" or "Federal Emissions Package" - just because the state you live in doesn't have emissions testing doesn't mean it is legal to remove your cat. It won't benefit you in ANY way to remove the cat.

In addition to that, environmentalist groups LOVE to hear how offroaders are doing MORE damage to the environment - it gives them more ammunition to use when trying to close trails/recreational land areas.

Please tell your friends to be responsible and put cats back on their vehicles...

you ever try to tell a two toothed country boy what to do to his truck? if i knew them personally i would suggest it lol but in the fact ive only met them a few times at parties ill just stray from running trails with em.

the fact that you were passing on their advice and suggesting that people here do the same doesn't say much for your dental condition ;):roflmao:

:looney:

Personally I'd go with the fan timer option... seems to be working quite well for those using it so far.

you ever try to tell a two toothed country boy what to do to his truck? if i knew them personally i would suggest it lol but in the fact ive only met them a few times at parties ill just stray from running trails with em.

Yes I have - and that's why he only has those two teeth :D

i know a few guys out here running no cats on their mud boggers. and in a blind case of they do it so......it must be ok, i figured it was not against the law if your state/county does not require smog testing.

EVEN if it were legal, why would you give people that advice? You're basically saying "Do this thing that increases you emissions 50x and will create more fumes that are harmful to you and your family and everyone you drive by". Do you go around telling parents to feed their kids more McDonalds, let them drink beer out of a baby bottle, and stick them with used needles, because it *might* be legal?

CUZ DA GUMMINT ONLY PUT CATALYTIC CONVERTERS ON CARS TO KEEP THE SOUTH DOWN AN LOWER DA PERFORMANCE OF OUR MUDDIN RIGS :scottm::gee::gee::scottm::flame:

out here in the real world, we realized many years ago that catalytic converters have come a long way and do not reduce engine performance now.

Okay..... those last couple of posts were quite illuminating. Maybe the OP should change his handle to XJTrail-ER-Rider;)

Back on Topic, XJTrailrider. I too am surprised you're having this issue. I assume it's the rough idle/run after a hot start that clears up after a few minutes. You said this happened *AFTER* the FI swap. How do you know it was #3?

I have a set of orange tops from a mustang in my '88. I bought them from eBay so I got 8 of them. The first set did result in some intermittent stumbling. I was able to isolate a specific FI and, since I had 2 spares, swap it out. Problem cleared indicating an issue with the injector.

Just joined this forum today to chime in on this thread.
Let me first introduce myself.
420BlackXJ means just what it says. All 4 hub to flare measurements = 20 inches on my black Cherokee. What, you were thinking something else:greensmok

On topic, I have had this issue with my XJ since I bought it in Oct. 2000
It is an 01. Dealer said the "fix" is in. BS. The little insulator between the intake man. and the inj. rail is insufficient. Right now, to get around this problem, I have been opening the hood every time I run into the liq store for a sixer, and waiting 10 mins or so before restarting. This works every time if I wait long enough. This is the only forum I have visited where many wheelers are familiar with this issue. I have been living with it for a long time now, but it is interesting to see some of the fix suggestions out there. A permanent fix would be nice, might have to try a suggestion (or more) to see what fixes it for good.

Back