• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power mirror install. mirror switch

Dragonlich1961

NAXJA Forum User
i'm looking to install power heated mirrors from a 97+ onto my 94 2 door. base model. i have no wiring in the doors(manual doors and staying that way. , nor do i have the switch. obvioulsy im going to have to do some custom wiring due to the fact that 96- never came with heated mirrors. this does not scare me.

what i am having issues with is find the other ends inside the car. where are the plugs for power assesories in the kick panels, can someone point them out to me. also is there a mini hanrness for the mirror switch on the console. or is this conector part of a bigger harness. i can find power door xjs of the right year, but every last one has had manual mirrors.

currenly i have only the mirrors, and matching plugs for them. i want to locate these other peices inside the car first, so that i can power and test everything.
if nothing else does anybody have a parts jeep with power mirrors?

Chris

My 1992 didn't have power mirrors from the factory either; when I decided to add power mirrors and checked my main body harness, I found that it didn't have the hookups for the mirrors (mine wasn't wired for lighted visors either, as I found a few years later when I installed a 97+ headliner and lighted visors).

I ended up just building my own standalone harness using a couple spools of wire, connectors I got from someone on here who was parting out a vehicle, an OEM control switch from the dealer, and the wiring diagrams in my FSM. Wasn't too hard a job, and unless someone asks or the carpet gets pulled, it looks like it came from the factory with the electrics.

All I'm really looking for is a switch and connector. I fiqured I'd have to make a harness. Any ideas. Also. Power visors are constantly power, same circuit as the dome light correct. I have a 94 FSM. Best thing ever.

Best bet is to find someone parting out a truck with power mirrors and see if they'll cut the connectors out as pigtails for you. That's what I did to get the connectors for my harness. The switch, I bought at the dealer (but that was back in early 2008).

Matter of fact, since it's connectors/switch for the 97+ you're looking for, go over to the NAC Classifieds board - there's an active thread for parting out a 99, maybe he's got what you need: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1137551

Fiannly got aa switch to use, does anybody have a wiring diagram for the power mirrors on a 97+ with defrost. 6 pins total on each mirror. everything i have found does not match my wire colors.

I think the FSM wiring diagrams show pin number/position as well as wire color - I think I depended more on the connector info than the colors when I built my harness (even though my retrofit was with the early-style mirrors).

Of course, there's always the old standby of two alligator clip leads, a pair of paper clips, and a 12V battery to see what pin does what..

Late model had the connector on the door side. If it was power window then it is part of the harness in the door regulator. Might be able to go to a JY or dealer for the 'body side pigtail'

got everything needed to wire it except a plug to use near the door, to make the harness removalable, fianlly got everything semi wired, plugs simply twisted together with tape to prevent shorting, while using a drill battery to power everyting. after one quick adjustment to the wires, Left side mirror power in's were backwards, up/ down turned out to be left/right, right side was fine. everything is good to go.
my plan is too build a stand alone harness with 3 simple conections. power in for mirrors(tapped off of a key on/acc slot in fusebox), ground for mirrors and defrost(chassis), power in for defrost(tapped off of stock defrost switch). Will the two mirrors be to much load for the stock defrost wiring, i don't think it will be.

Back