• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory TRE taper?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short, I finally ordered an Omix-Ada/Rugged Ridge factory replacement pitman arm to replace the drop pitman I installed years ago with a new steering gear (since the OEM one was totally seized). Bump steer has become irritating enough to address it, so here we are.

Only issue is that I seem to have received a poorly-machined example, as the taper in the TRE hole is far too small, and I can't get the damn thing seated properly.

I have a true OEM pitman arm arriving at the dealership on Thursday, but I was incredibly pissed that I couldn't address the issue on my own.

That being said... What's the factory TRE taper? 1.20 IPF? Is it the same taper used by 1-ton steering setups as well?

I'd like to order the necessary reamers to have on-hand so I don't run into this issue again. Thanks in advance.

Define and explain, maybe with some pictures, " can't get the damn thing seated properly " ?

Instead of buying a reamer, why not buy better quality parts ? Everything I have ever bought from Omix-Ada and Crown Automotive either fit poorly, wore out quickly, or did both at once.

I went with the Omix-Ada part because Amazon had it available for same-day delivery (which didn't even *remotely* pan out since the first part got lost), and it had good reviews. Basically, the TRE hole wasn't bored out/drilled properly, so only about 3 threads of the TRE stud were visible once it was "fully seated" in the part (too small/shallow, basically). I went ahead and ordered a proper Mopar replacement through the dealership on Monday, which should arrive tomorrow.

I confirmed that it's a 3.5° taper via a call with PartsMike (as is "every American vehicle since the 1950's"), and went ahead and ordered the TR220 reamer that he sells just to make damn sure I never run into this issue again (I hate having my hands tied), and to make sure I can ream out future knuckles and pitman arms for 1-ton steering if I ever go that route.

Oh well. At least I'll be good to go in the future.

Back