• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! My jeep won’t turn off.

gz32

NAXJA Forum User
Today when I went to turn off my jeep I could not get the key to turn back towards me to turn the xj off. I have a 90XJ with an auto trany. I can move the key forward to turn it on, but I can not move the key past the position that that the key is in while it is running. I dose not matter what gear I am in, P, N or D and R. I can’t get the key out either. I had to pull the coil wire to turn the jeep off.

Has any one had this problem?
And could you tell me how to replace the ignition (where you put the key in)?

Thanks for your help.
GZ32

Yes. It's common. First of all, do you ahve tilt steering? By changing the angle of the wheel you may be able to shut it down. Changing the ignition switch can be a bit of a bitch..here goes...

Lock Cylindar:
Pull steering wheel.
Compress lock plate (cheap tool at autozone or rental to do this, it's very tricky wihtout)
Remove lock plate
Take out hazard light switch.
Take off turn signal stalk.
Move turn signal switch out of way.
Remove cylindar (put it in assy, remove the set scrwe, and pull straight out).

As for switch itself....
Drop steering column as far as you can (two or for nuts support it, just remove those and let it lie as far as it will go)
Remove two bolts holding swtich (it's on top of the steering column)
remove switch wireing.
Remove switch.

This is simplified, mind you. I haven't done an ignition switch in about eight years, and that was on a Camaro, but it's the same column as an early XJ.

Helps to have small hands to do this job (I don't:))

Sequoia

Keep in mind that the ignition lock cylinder you asked about and that Sequoia explained is nothing but a lock cylinder. The actual switch is farther down the steering column. Before you buy a new cylinder and go to the work of changing it, first check to be sure the rod between the lock cylinder and the switch is working correctly and hasn't gotten bound up or out of adjustment.

thanks, yea i guss i am talking about the lock cylinder not the switch its self. but how do i check the "rod between the lock cylinder and the switch is working correctly and hasn't gotten bound up or out of adjustment" what is the adjustment?

thanks a lot for your help.
Gz32

To check to see what part is working you need to drop the steering column and then you can turn the key and see if the rod is moving or not.

I think you need to focus on the ignition switch mounted on the column like Eagle said. I changed my ignition switch in the past 2 months. I had a buddy over who had done it before and between the talking and jsut goofing around we did it in 2 hours, it an hour job according to alldata.

Go to an online parts store and look up ignition switch so you can see what it looks like. They run 8 to 15 bucks depending where you get one. You may even find it at a good price at a GM dealership since it is a GM column. There prob 2 maybe 3 places that make the switch and all the parts companies buy from the people who make it. I picked up a borg-warner switch for $9 and it has a lifetime warranty.

You will need a set of ignition style wrenches. I used the 8, 9, and 10 mm on my 88 XJ. So go to Sears and pick up the metric set of craftsman wrenches. Also you have to remove the dimmer switch to change the ignition switch, they use the same bolts to attach to he column.

The fact you could not turn off the XJ says the switch is bad. I think your switch may or arced and welded the contracts together. The switch is a wear item and your XJ not much newer than mine, change the switch and take it from there.

ok, but I cant phisicaly turn the key back to the off position, so wount that be the cylinder? not the switch?

And do you have a part # for the gm switch, or modle and year of gm car with same column?

GZ32

It could be any one of the three. Personally, I would change both they cylindar and the switch because of the age (as long as you're getting in there you should change them, they will fail.

I've never fixed a binding rod, but when you have everything apart move it by hand (when it's all aparet you'll see how it works), if you feel a bind you should be able to fix it, or just post here and somebody will give you advice.

Sequoia
(Oh, as for what GM cars, any of them out of the eighties and early ninties, they all used that column pretty much) I do know that an '84 Camaro and '84 El Camino are the same.

For a quick fix you can usually take off the upper dash and see the connecting rod. Using a screwdriver, pop the rod off of the little snap 'ball', and use your finger to pull the ball towards you. That will let you get the key out.

gz,

When you go to buy the new switch you will have to tell them if you have a tilt column or not. GM came out with that style column in 1969, my '69 Camero had it and my parents never took the paper sleeve off the sun visor which explained it's operation.

If you go to a GM dealer just tell them you need the ignition switch for a 1990 Saganaw tilt OR non-tilt column. The other option is go to any parts store, tell them you need an ignition switch for your 90 XJ and they will pull it out. Then just for grins ask them to look up a '69 Camero and they will tell you it the same part.

Here a picture of the tilt column version : http://www.smpcorp.com/mycgi/ibg.asp?parts=US105

Here the non tilt version, see how the mounting flange is on the other side http://www.smpcorp.com/mycgi/ibg.asp?parts=US95

I will recommend if you are this deep into the dash board to change the ignition switch then also change out your headlight switch. I had to change my headlight switch a week after I changed the ignition switch. I was on the road and did it in the parking lot of the parts store. Nothing like working under a street lamp!

Martin

I have a similar problem with my 90 model, it ends up being the rod that connects to the tranny shifter. Almost always i have to SLAM it into park to get the key to come back far enough to pull it out. Not saying thats your problem but its worth checking into before you go tearing the dash and column apart.

thanks guys,

Now I have it apart and the lock cylender is dead. But i cant get one till monday and i have to drive 130 miles back to school to night. Dose any one know what the wires that plug into the ignition switch do? I bogut a universal keyed ignition switch that i would like to use untill i get the new lock cyender.

The temp igintion switch has 4 conections, starer, ignition, accessory, and battery +. do you now what color wires from the original switch i would connect to the temp switch?

Or can you think of a better temerary way to at lest turn the car off. the key will still start the car, just not turn back past the run position.

thanks,
Curtiss
(GZ32) <-- (the chassis code for my 91' nissan 300ZX 2+2)

17 year bump.

I'm going to try and get this exact problem fixed on my 88 tomorrow, hopefully. Tilt column. Used to be that I had to fiddle with the shifter to get it to let me turn it off, then one day it failed and now I only get start or run, and have to shut it off by unplugging the CPS and then disconnecting the battery. Can't pass state safety inspection like that so it looks like it's getting fixed.

Place your bets. Ignition cylinder, linkage to switch, switch, or park/neutral shifter interlock mechanism? I'm betting on the last one.

Back