• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Help?

PalmettoOne

NAXJA Forum User
So...I've never had my XJ on a trail...except in wide open desert once. I just got it lifted 3 inches and larger tires...so I'd like to find some easy to moderate trails to drive. Don't want to bang the thing up!

I need some guidance on recommended trails and maybe some folks to learn from. I'm in the Charlotte, NC area. Any help is greatly appreciated!

So...I've never had my XJ on a trail...except in wide open desert once. I just got it lifted 3 inches and larger tires...so I'd like to find some easy to moderate trails to drive. Don't want to bang the thing up!

I need some guidance on recommended trails and maybe some folks to learn from. I'm in the Charlotte, NC area. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Uwharrie is close to you. "Daniel" is a tough trail but the rest are not too bad

Cherokee Crawl is in a couple weeks in Harlan KY. Handful of guys coming up from South Carolina. July 7-8.

Running lots of moderate trails and the trail leaders will not allow you to get in over your head. Something nice about having 30 XJ guys hanging around either if issues arise. You'll learn a lot over that weekend about your truck, trail etiquette, and your abilities.

What these guys said. URE and Broken Nut are the closest to you and me. I'm just south of you in Hartsville. I'm currently working on my xj to get it ready for the Crawl. I head up on the 4th to Harlan. If you can come up it is well worth it. If not hit me up back channel if you have a free afternoon and want to come down and say hey. Welcome aboard! :cheers:

Plenty of primitive camping on site - and by primitive I mean a grass lot within 100 yards of the camp store, 10 showers, indoor toilets, air compressor, and the pavilion where we'll do our potluck and our BBQ. Also, that grass lot is where we stage every morning for trail runs.

Think I'm gonna try to go. Don't know about getting decent hotel tho...Harlan seems to be in middle of nowhere!

I think there are only a couple Hotels in Harlan. I do hotels a lot when I go to a new area but this is one trip I always camp. It's just too much fun going on at the campground not to.

Thank so much. I'll get up with you in a week or so. Lemme come down and buy your lunch!

Big's is just North of me and just South or McBee and a great place for lunch.

Plenty of primitive camping on site - and by primitive I mean a grass lot within 100 yards of the camp store, 10 showers, indoor toilets, air compressor, and the pavilion where we'll do our potluck and our BBQ. Also, that grass lot is where we stage every morning for trail runs.

Yea Call Stephen at the Campground and camp with us.

You can register on site. So don't worry about "just showing up."

Get there a couple days early and do some trails before the event officially begins. Ghost and 04355 will both be there early in the week. The BOD starts showing up on Wednesday usually.

My wife is NOT into camping...I'll tag a hotel nearby....there are some about 45 miles away.
lemme look at next week for meeting up with you. Are you working...and limited as to what day? I'm retired and wide open except for Jun 26.

My wife is NOT into camping...I'll tag a hotel nearby....there are some about 45 miles away.
lemme look at next week for meeting up with you. Are you working...and limited as to what day? I'm retired and wide open except for Jun 26.

Comfort Inn Booked? My ex stayed there one year and it was nice. I thought there was another one but google isn't showing much. I'm usually free except Wednesday nights. That's "Date Night" with the GF and I head over to Camden. Just let me know. I'm usually free in the afternoons. I work for a family transportation company so It's very flexible.

Stay in Harlin, there are a couple of nice hotels that are rarely booked and you are only 10-12 miles away from Putney trail head.

The campground is fun, I'm not into camping(my wife is). We enjoy the campground. I wish I could go this year and I might just show up anyway in the stock XJ and hang out. I doubt I will tow the trail rig that far for a day on the trails but I hope to next year.

Its always a good time with this group, great people!

Dammit...my wife has to have unexpected surgery next Thurs. Won't make it to Harlan after all...

I'll catch up with y'all at another gathering.

That sucks. Hope all goes well.

Hah...she's put up with me for 40 years...guess I better be kind to her. Plus she's got the best dude in the field at the Medical University in Charleston.

Hah...she's put up with me for 40 years...guess I better be kind to her. Plus she's got the best dude in the field at the Medical University in Charleston.

Good Luck! Enjoyed meeting you and hope to see you on the trails soon.

Back