• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anti theft devices

Forceful Llama

NAXJA Forum User
So my rig was stolen and stripped on the first. What are some good ways to protect the steering column? I'm already going to install a kill switch and hood lock of some sort. Looking for opinions and options past that. Maybe a steering collar that locks in place?

Install a secret fuel pump cutoff switch. Older XJ's can use the GM style steering column armor on the GM steering column.

The "CLUB" is a bar that locks on your steering wheel. Best deterrant I know about.

All they need is a Harbor Freight bolt cutter. Snip the steering wheel in one spot, and toss the Club to the floor. This is a well known work-around for the Club.

I just love that bimmerjeeper quote in your sig tim.

I work for a local Police Department and use the Club on my XJ every single time I park it....even at the Police station. In my 18 years of driving I've never had a single theft from vehicle or break-in. I know it's defeatable however I believe it is a good deterent to lazy criminals who don't want to take the time to cut my Club. Let's be honest.....if the criminals were smart enough to have the right tools and strategy they wouldn't need to be criminals. I also don't ever leave anything in my vehicle and have a stock stereo so that probably helps.

Our department has also had good experiences with Lo-Jack.

Could also pull the primary side of the ignition coil......

Last edited:
Pull the auto shut down relay under the hood. They won't get It started, no matter what they do.

True, but how many thieves looking to steal a jeep are going to know that? Or how many are even going to know or think to look there? Probably not very many is my guess.

You make a very good point. I think most criminals would give up if they couldn't be driving away in a minute.

Ya, if I had had any sort of deterrent I'm sure I'd be driving home from work tonight. The club is ok for the lazy, but I'm beginning to think its someone scoping out our lot. The manager at the sports store was held up at gunpoint recently and we've had several purse snatches. I tend to work at the same times and would be easy enough to bring a cutter one night. Once I'm sure it is running and no damage beyond missing parts, I'm installing a kill switch and the column lock. Maybe even wire up an led to flash in the dash on a battery pack until I can install an alarm.

I'm also considering one of these products.

http://simjack.com:8185/

That car defender looks like a great item.

I have it on my go-kart (91 civic si). Someone tried stealing it, broke the switch and ran the battery down trying to get it to start. It's been on there 8 years. Going to put one in the jeep. The nice thing is you don't have to do anything when you get out of the car, it auto arms in 15 seconds or so. No flipping a switch, pulling a relay, etc.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you have to be there to use it. Plus in some states defending property with a firearm will get you in trouble. Which sucks. IMHO they need to get rid of electric chairs and install electric bleachers.

Yeah, but you have to be there to use it. Plus in some states defending property with a firearm will get you in trouble. Which sucks. IMHO they need to get rid of electric chairs and install electric bleachers.

Agreed. I sometimes forget I live in such a great state. Maybe this window sticker will work for the guys that have had their right infringed upon.

When I was in high school working at a local stealership a salesman for a car alarm company showed up trying to sell some alarms. Part of his demo was to show us that you can use the long arm of the club as leverage to break it off the steering wheel. I've not had much faith in them after that.

When I want my car to go nowhere I install a brand new Airtex Fuel Pump.

Just to be extra-sure that my car will not go too far, I'll throw in a non-OEM
Crankshaft Position Sensor, or one of the newest, latest radiators that are
now everywhere on the market.

Har, har. Just kidding! (...uh, sort of).

A Club will not make your car steal-proof. Nothing can. A Club will deter many,
if not most, joy riders and amateurs.

I do not keep anything valuable in my cars. I do not have a flashy stereo system or
GPS display or any other gizmo or tools that may whet anyone's appetite.

I use a Club on my steering wheel, and whenever I can, I will often park my car on a
well-lit, well-trafficked area ... near to a flashy BMW, or a shiny Honda.

Back