• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fast mechnical tick/whirl from intake manifold

shmicah

NAXJA Forum User
Was digging around for vaccum leaks on the 99 XJ.

There is a very distinct mechanical clicking/whirling sound that is intermittently happening somewhere near the air intake of my intake manifold. It almost sounds like one of those sensors there.

It'll make the nosie for like 10-15 seconds, then stop for a bit, then randomly start again. It makes a very consistent rhythmic click - like a mechanical switch opening/closing very fast.

All my googles lead to exhaust leak or lifter tick. I have the lifter tick so I know its not that. I don't think its exhaust leak either as my RPMs are normal, and the car drives wonderfully. I just have very bad cabin vibes when sitting in gear with brakes on.

I took a hose and listened and am very confident it is near the TPS. Are any of those intake sensors known to have a relay or make this noise?

A loud fuel injector?

the iac is a stepper motor and when they get stuck they do make click like noises. but the iac is so small im not sure you could hear it.

A loud fuel injector?
Possible but it doesn't sound like its coming from there. I know its hard to be confident of that though. I pulled each FI and the XJ stumbled every time so they are all working correctly. Next time I hear the tick I'll do it again and see if it stops.

Could it be the IAC?

the iac is a stepper motor and when they get stuck they do make click like noises. but the iac is so small im not sure you could hear it.

IAC is definitely in the area I am hearing it. It is very faint and I have to put my head up to the manifold to really hear it. You would never hear it with the hood closed or from the cab.

I recently had the manifold removed and sitting the garage for ~6 months. Perhaps the IAC got dirty or gummed up? I cleaned it a while back, but didn't really bother cleaning again before throwing it back in.

I'm just tracking down a rough idle, and I know my brake booster is bad so hoping its just causing a minor vaccum leak. So I will tackle that first and if it doesn't make a difference I will troubleshoot the IAC. My only problem with that is how smooth the RPMs are.

Thanks yall

Last edited:
Does the rough idle change if you plug the brake booster line? If not, that's not your vacuum leak.

I will try this out. Either way I know the booster is bad, I have a stiff pedal that won't go away. I should be more specific too - the rough idle is a low frequency cabin shake that only happens when sitting in gear (R/D) with my foot on the brakes. If I'm in P, N, or driving - it's smooth.

iac does control the idle speed and if its all gummed and not working that could be a problem.

When you say speed are you talking RPMs? I idle very steady at ~700RPM and it barely budges. Still worth cleaning again like you say.

its easy enough to do. just pop the 2 screws out and get a soft brissle brush. also take a look into the hole and see if its all yucky.

It's on the other side of the motor, but the purge valve makes similar sound.

Back