• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For you texans who have to run front plates.

x2elite

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to swap my registration over to Texas on my jeeps, and since I didn't have a front license plate mount, I started toying around with ideas to mount one. I had an old front plate off my old truck, and decided to use it, along with some Metal mag lite mounts to see if I could make a removeable plate for my Fairlead. This is what I came up with..... once I change my registration to Texas I will just mount the Texas plate in the same fashion. It just clips right on and off whenever I need my winch.

LP2.jpg

LP.jpg

LP3.jpg

hey dude i did the same with with my jeep, cuz its registered in Wa and requires a front plate. find an old plate to use as a backer as extra weight, that way your plate wont bend, and you'll be good to go.

and yes, when i lived in Tx, i had front plates on both my vehicles

Just make sure that it is on tight. I could see taking a hard bump and losing it. Then you'd have to explain your slick setup to the state trooper that pulls you over. I drilled and tapped a couple holes in the bumper. The plate is a little crumpled, but it's there and it's not coming off.

Its on there VERY tight..... its actually really really hard to pop it on and off.

:laugh3: Yeah thats nothing new...

J/K alot of people in my local OR club have done that and they all held up great.

Front plate?? I haven't run a front plate on any of mine or my wife's vehicles in years. Been stopped a few times without them and never a word was said......guess I better find some wood to knock on.

I put a front plate on my pickup for the first time in years last weekend. I was warned about itby a trooper. DPS troopers are the only ones that have said anything to me. City cops don't seem to care. Are the roller pins long enough to make it hinge off one side and clip on the other?

I knocked my front plate off on my last trip to katemcy. Liberty Hill popo pulled me over and had me disarm and get out of the vehicle. Tried real hard to find something on me before letting me go.

Yes, you need a front plate in Texas.

I'm in Texas, and I don't have a front plate. I'd like to use this fix, however I need a winch. Would someone donate a Superwinch epi9.0 to me? Yes beggars can be choosers.

bumper49.jpg

I've been driving like this for a week, no issues yet. I have my front plate in the cargo area, with a couple of nylon tie straps waiting just in case. ;)

I was afraid that it would get snagged from my fairlead so I lossened the fairlead plate and stuffed the lower edge of the plate between the fairlead and the bumper. Tightened it back down and you can't pull it loose thus a permanent mount that won't migrate across the border into someone elses hands. Plate acts like a sheild to keep some mud out of my winch cable too.

The only time and only time I have ever been pulled over for no front LP, was in Hutto by Hutto PD and I was driving an 87 Cutlass Supreme with Dark tinted windows and old english lettering on the back. I havent had a front plate on the Jeep since I bought it and have never been pulled over.

Someone shoot me if I EVER start to talk like that :)

Well if you had to disarm yourself... you have a gun to take care of that for us. Plus we won't go to jail... and neither will you.

Back