• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with axle swap

semisynth

NAXJA Forum User
I just got some axles with 4.10s from a '85 2.8 XJ (non c-clip d35, non disco d30 w/small ujoints). I was planning to overhaul them, swap in some disc brakes on the 35, and upgrade to 297 u-joints on the 30 as a winter project. Well that was the plan, but I just found out that the u-joints in the front axle I'm running now are toast ('94 d30 ABS 3.55s 297 u-joints). Now I figure since I'm going to have to tear apart the front axle anyway I might as well just do the swap, leave the drums on the rear and put on the rear discs when I can afford it. I just need some info on some details I'm still hazy on. (yes I've searched. If a post has the words “d35” “d30” “Dana 35” or “Dana 30” in it I've read it :)
What are the differences between an ABS d30 and a non ABS d30?
Will I be able to swap my 297 ABS shafts into an '85 non ABS d30?
Will my drums and pads off my '94 c-clip d35 fit the '85 non c-clip d35?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'94 bronze w/black nose 2 door XJ : 4.0, AW4, NP242, 3” lift w/31” ATs, TJ flares, K&N, bored t-body w/spacer, M.O.R.E motor mounts, Magnaflow high-flow cat w/ Dynomax cat back, 3 row rad w/dual electric fans (on t-stat switch /manual kill switch), LeBaron & Mustang hood vents, aux tranny cooler, custom front bumper w/D rings & hoop on the Ridgid co. FBMS mounting system, custom rear bumper w/D rings, class 3 hitch, swing out tire/jerry can, custom 4'x4' roof rack, Mopar front, t-case & gas tank skids, Rock Rats Trail Rails rocker protection, floor pan & chassis coated w/POR & Hurc.

'00 black 4 door XJ 4.0, AW4, NP 231, 30” ATs, mostly stock for now except K&N and Rustys tow hook brackets. A 2” BB, NP242 swap, skid plates, & bumpers are in it's near future

semisynth said:
What are the differences between an ABS d30 and a non ABS d30?
ABS.

Seriously. It'll have tone rings and a wire, both of which can be removed, or ignored.

Will I be able to swap my 297 ABS shafts into an '85 non ABS d30?
If the '85 axle is a non-disconnect, yes. Actually, you can even if it has a disconnect, but there's a bit more work involved.

Will my drums and pads off my '94 c-clip d35 fit the '85 non c-clip d35?
Dunno. Bolt spacing on the mounting flange might be different. Big question is why you would voluntarily remove 10" brakes to install 9" brakes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'94 bronze w/black nose 2 door XJ : 4.0, AW4, NP242, 3” lift w/31” ATs, TJ flares, K&N, bored t-body w/spacer, M.O.R.E motor mounts, Magnaflow high-flow cat w/ Dynomax cat back, 3 row rad w/dual electric fans (on t-stat switch /manual kill switch), LeBaron & Mustang hood vents, aux tranny cooler, custom front bumper w/D rings & hoop on the Ridgid co. FBMS mounting system, custom rear bumper w/D rings, class 3 hitch, swing out tire/jerry can, custom 4'x4' roof rack, Mopar front, t-case & gas tank skids, Rock Rats Trail Rails rocker protection, floor pan & chassis coated w/POR & Hurc.

'00 black 4 door XJ 4.0, AW4, NP 231, 30” ATs, mostly stock for now except K&N and Rustys tow hook brackets. A 2” BB, NP242 swap, skid plates, & bumpers are in it's near future[/QUOTE]

Thanks Eagle. I didn't realize that the '85 had larger drums. I was going to swap my old drums on to save some $ (the '85 axle only has the backing plates on it now). So the ABS shafts will just bolt into the non ABS 30 with no mods. cool.

Last edited:
Back