• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do you have to replace both rotors

the general rule that I was told is this:

1. always replace the pads in pairs
2. The discs or rotors only need to be replaced if they are bad and the same goes for the calipers. Since rotors are installed new in pairs, if you have one side with more damage or uneven wear compared to the other side then you have another issue all together and might want to find the source of that issue.

I like to refresh everything at once on both sides... yeah it might not be not necessary but I am OCD like that and would feel the vehicle would be unbalanced or something silly like that :flipoff:

but if you have one worn out rotor go ahead and replace the damged unit - monitor both sides after a couple hundred miles for wear trends - and replace as necessary

the general rule that I was told is this:

1. always replace the pads in pairs
2. The discs or rotors only need to be replaced if they are bad and the same goes for the calipers. Since rotors are installed new in pairs, if you have one side with more damage or uneven wear compared to the other side then you have another issue all together and might want to find the source of that issue.

I like to refresh everything at once on both sides... yeah it might not be not necessary but I am OCD like that and would feel the vehicle would be unbalanced or something silly like that :flipoff:

but if you have one worn out rotor go ahead and replace the damged unit - monitor both sides after a couple hundred miles for wear trends - and replace as necessary

My issue is the wheel fell off and ground the rotor flat. :) I might just do both rotors and pads on either side if I can get the money.

It is not totally necessary but recommended that any brake parts are replaced in pairs for brake parity. This includes rotors and calipers. A new caliper likely has a slightly different clamping force than a good used one, and a new rotor will be thicker than an old one; both will affect braking force but not a whole lot. So, if you can afford it do both, if not one will be ok.

Back