• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the what's left you stranded thread

Re: the what's left you straded thread

Oh yeah. Idler pulley on my mj blew up on my way to work, one less than half the bearings fell out. Heard a horrible noise, went the rest of the way to work. When I got out the parts stores were closed. Figured out if I kept the motor above a few thousand rpm the remaining bearings would "space out" and it would spin smoothly, so I kept it above that speed all the way to my storage unit 4 or 5 towns over and grabbed the one off my spare motor.

That mj has tried REALLY HARD to try and strand me. I just don't let it :roflmao: the radiator hose is the only time it succeeded, even the separated balljoints the previous day got hacked back together on the trail, driven back to camp, and fixed.

too make my story scarier. one of the shift forks melted late at night in southern arizona about 100 miles from anything. and some border patrol folk told us we were lucky they showed up first and to get out of there before we were raped and murdered.

I've managed to be utterly stranded by an XJ only once. The clutch throwout bearing on my current one ate through the diaphragm somewhere in the 250 thousand mile range, jammed, blew a few bits into the wrong place, and ate a chunk out of the slave cylinder, leaving me with a locked clutch. I tried to get home but I was in city traffic, and couldn't negotiate the free-for-all intersections by slam shifting and starting in gear, ended up nearly launching the transmission, and ended up leaving it, renting a car, and towing it home the next day.

I should add that my first XJ, an 87, came very close, but I managed each time to baby it either home or to a repair without having to walk or tow. It was touch and go when the power steering line blew out in Pennsylvania on a saturday night, though.

I should add that my first XJ, an 87, came very close, but I managed each time to baby it either home or to a repair without having to walk or tow. It was touch and go when the power steering line blew out in Pennsylvania on a saturday night, though.

That brings to mind the time my power steering pump failed in my red Jeep. I was driving up the mountain at night on a windy road (hwy. 38). It was below freezing and there were patches of ice here and there. In order to maintain consistent steering (not wavering in/out of power assist) I had to keep the engine above about 3200 RPM. That's easier said than done with an automatic and 31s with 3.55s.

I changed out that pump on the mountain, luckily their Napa auto has about everything and the required tools is simple.

That brings to mind the time my power steering pump failed in my red Jeep. I was driving up the mountain at night on a windy road (hwy. 38). It was below freezing and there were patches of ice here and there. In order to maintain consistent steering (not wavering in/out of power assist) I had to keep the engine above about 3200 RPM. That's easier said than done with an automatic and 31s with 3.55s.

I changed out that pump on the mountain, luckily their Napa auto has about everything and the required tools is simple.
In my case, I was on a trip home from Georgia, the line blew out a rust booger, and I rolled into the nearest motel parking lot trailing a puddle of the last ounce of PS fluid. The fitting was rusted solid as well, and I didn't have the tools to do it myself. The next morning I called around and found one dealer who could sell me the part but couldn't do the work, and another, about 40 miles away, who could do the work if they got the part. I headed off, first to an auto parts store for a jug of fluid, then to the dealer with the part, and then, stopping every five miles or so to top up fluid, to the dealer who fixed it. They squeezed me in, charged me only about 50 bucks, and I was on my way, but it was a long long morning!

The next year in almost exactly the same place my coolant tank burst, but this time it was daytime, and I went to the dealer with the parts, bought a tank and put it in in the parking lot of the closest supermarket I could find that sold cheap 50/50 antifreeze.

Something about the greater Harrisburg area that that Jeep just did not like.

I see a very similar resemblance... Gotta look close....

Radiator+Damage+Detail.JPG

rage-face.png

I wanted to go right, but my jeep wanted to go left...

20120205_131410.jpg

2000 XJ
1. Cam sensor. The shaft seized in the housing, engine quit. Towed home. took me a while to figure out what was going on.
2. Starter. Parked in a big puddle. Towed home to dry garage. The tow took longer than the replacement.

1988 XJ
1. Electrical fire in dash melted fusible link. Replaced link with a piece of speaker wire. Wheeled the rest of the day and drove 120 miles home that night.

I would say Sam (KTM) wins for abuse, Ken loses for neglect.

:D
probably accurate

But I went wheeling this weekend, did you?

theres something about I81 that jeeps dont like.

Yeah. One of the big hills near w-b or scranton or so is the one that finished off the transmission in my 96.

Ah,.. The "Paris" effect. Kind of pretty girl, but cross eyed.(And you might get tetanus if you work on it real hard)

Back