• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax15 swap in 2.5

jessebill79 said:
I have a 1984 with 2.5 and ax-5. Can I swap in ax-15?? Is it a straight bolt up?? Any help appreciated.

I'm inclined to think so.

Mind if I ask why you want to do this? I'm more curious than anything else (and I'd have to check to see if there is any difference in the bellhousing bolt pattern. I think there was a break, but don't hold me to it - I'd have to check my notes...)

I'm fairly sure you're going to need new driveshafts after the swap, but I can't make any guarantees there...

jessebill79 said:
Some say ax-5 not very strong. I'm a newbie this is my first build,trying to do things right the first time.

Fair enough - I was just looking for an answer.

However, unless you're building a firebreathing four, the AX-5 should last you just fine. If you were going to get silly, I'd think of something more along the lines of a Borg T10 than an AX-15 - the -15 is a decent box, but you can do better if you need to.

However, fed a steady diet of GL-3, the Aisins aren't bad boxes (they just need GL-3 because they have bronze synchros. GL-5 attacks yellow metal...)

jessebill79 said:
thanks for your help

No worries. If you want more specific information, I can probably try to dig it up for you - that's just what I know off the top of my head.

Which part of Indiana? I spent most of my formative years in Lafayette, Monticello, and Monon...

I am doing this swap very soon, within the next week and plan to have a semi full write up on the process. It is not a direct swap and requires some shenanigans.

I recommend doing this swap. My AX-5 blew up cruising down the freeway in 5th gear at 2.5K RPM's which was not fun at all. I think the AX-15 will be plenty tranny for the 2.5L. If you plan to wheel your XJ and/or run 33"+ then the AX-5 is no good and needs to be upgraded. The AX-15 is a good option because no kit is required from a place like Advanced Adapters if you get the Dakota Bellhousing (more on this later). I went to Advanced Adapters today and they were very helpful on getting me information on this swap and carry a new line to run from the master cylinder to the new Dodge slave cylinder and providing information on the pilot bushing. I highly recommend them to everyone in the sport. They are really a top notch company and now their stuff really well.

Unless you get an internal salve AX-15 really cheap only get the newer external slave type for ease of swap. It requires a Dodge Dakota 2.5L bellhousing from 96-98. These years the Dakota cam with the AMC style 2.5L and the AX-15 transmission. It requires a clutch disc from an 84 Camaro 4 cyl 4 speed manual. Since you have an 84 you will have to swap to a NP231 so get this with your tranny (get the linkage or plan on the NOVAK shift kit. I may get it if my linkage turns out to be a real bitch). For the purposes of this thread read these pages from people who have actually completed the swap. I will try to get my write up done as soon as possible with all the part numbers and steps to the swap up online as soon as possible. But I am graduating from college in a couple of weeks and starting work full time as a civil engineer only 3 days after graduation so I will be busy but if anyone starts the swap in that amount of time just PM me and I will try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181361&highlight=ax5+ax15&page=11

http://porc.purdue.org/Forums/viewtopic/t=5748/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=40.html

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/articles/ax15swap.php

Ah - thank you. I wasn't ready to swear to anything...

If you have both gearboxes handy, I was wondering if you could do a small favour for me? See if the AX-5 bell will mount to the AX-15 (same bolt pattern and suchlike,) more for my own curiousity than anything else - but Aisin hasn't answered my letters yet...

So, I'd like to know. I'd appreciate pix of the two and parts side-by-side, but I'll understand if you can't swing it.

5-90 said:
Ah - thank you. I wasn't ready to swear to anything...

If you have both gearboxes handy, I was wondering if you could do a small favour for me? See if the AX-5 bell will mount to the AX-15 (same bolt pattern and suchlike,) more for my own curiousity than anything else - but Aisin hasn't answered my letters yet...

So, I'd like to know. I'd appreciate pix of the two and parts side-by-side, but I'll understand if you can't swing it.

I don't have an AX-15 bellhousing but I am pretty sure the AX-5 bellhousing wont bolt up to the AX-15 hence the need for the Dakota bellhousing. I will check though when I have them apart.

Novak says the bellhousings are different. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax15.htm
"Individuals, hoping to replace their AX5 occasionally assume the AX15 will replace it directly. The bellhousing patterns and spline counts between these similar appearing transmissions are deceivingly close, but not compatible."

These guys sell an adapter plate, but at $448 I think it's be much cheaper to find the Dakota bellhousing to go from the 60* bolt pattern to the AX15. https://eshop.advanceadapters.com/commerce/ccp2174-ax5-to-ax15-adapter-712563-712563.htm

Back