• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake lights not working

altierior

NAXJA Forum User
the mystery before the forum today is non-functioning brake lights on a 2000 XJ.
the facts:
  • all other lamps are operating normally.
  • there are no other electrical symptoms.
  • fuses # 7 & 23 are ok.
  • the brake-switch is ok as confirmed by testing continuity with an ohm meter per the fsm.
  • there is a custom swing-out tire carrier which has a brake light. this add-on light is not suspect because: a) it worked fine until recently, and b) the brake lights on the jeep do not work whether this extra brake light is connected or disconnected.

If you have a trailer package then look at the wiring harness for a damaged cable.

scoobyxj said:
You have confirmed that there is no voltage in the bulb sockets too?
i did after reading your post, and no voltage.

but i don't understand why i would check for voltage at the bulb socket, other than to rule out a bad bulb.

Just part of the troubleshooting process. If you had voltage at the socket, then the ground would have been the prime suspect (assuming the bulb is good). Now you can start moving "upstream", checking for voltage at each junction. Since you tested for continuity at the switch already, check it for voltage as well.

Back