• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaky RE SS brake lines

FYR WOOD

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had a problem with the braided brake lines from RE? My fronts are leaking where the hard line threads into the new line. As far as I can tell, the leak appears to be coming from the threads, not from between the hard line and the flare nut. Is it a bad idea to use teflon tape on brake lines? I've never had a problem with brake lines before, and my 5.5 kit went on so well.... No problems at all. Just this. Any solutions? Thanks.

Well theres really only a couple things that could be wrong!
1-the fitting is loose
2-the fitting on the flex line is "nicked"
3-the flare on the hard line is "nicked"
4-the fittings are not properly "matched"

the threads do not do any "sealing"

Blast it with brake cleaner and use a nice flare nut wrench to tighten it (hold the upper line with another wrench)

I found an inexpensive double flare kit at Sears that has worked pretty well for me so far. I used it to replace the fittings on the hard lines on my rear axle, as well as replace the fittings on the front when I installed my RE SS lines this summer. Seemed to work pretty well, and was only around $30.00 IRRC.

Bryan

Back