• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boot13's Build Thread

Boot13

NAXJA Forum User
IMG_20170723_071116-768x576.jpg

The goal is for an expedition/overlanding type of build. We recently tested a new camping set up and it worked out well. This tent allowed us to use the jeep as sleeping quarters. I installed some curtains as well, they really helped keep the XJ warm during the cool night, and the sun out in the early morning.

IMG_20171111_132049-1024x768.jpg

IMG_20171111_154656-1024x768.jpg

I have been collecting parts for a couple months and tomorrow I begin putting them on.

The lift will be a 4.5" Long Arm, pieced together with Rubicon Express Parts.

IMG_20171106_125839-1024x768.jpg

A D60 rear end purchased from a fellow NAXJA member is also waiting to go in.

IMG_20170813_192805-1024x768.jpg

The goal is to have it sitting on these 315/75R16s (although it is tempting to throw them on the Cougar :laugh:)

IMG_20171109_133351-1024x768.jpg

Other mods slated to go in:
Transfercase skid
Teraflex SYE
HD Adams Driveshaft
RuffStuff diff covers
JcrOffroad Prerunner Roof Rack

Well the holidays swallowed me up and I have been meaning on posting some images. The build is mostly done and I have been driving it around. Still some things to finish on the list. But here it is after the majority of the work has been done.

IMG_20180105_153147-768x576.jpg

I would post more images but it really is not anything new, most of the work I did I learned from this forum and around the internet.

However, I do have some unique modifications in mind, when I begin those I will post some more detail.

Looks great Boot.

Are you running stock rear spring shackles?

Will you be installing a lift kit on your tent? jk

Good times are in store for you in 2018!

Looks great Boot.

Are you running stock rear spring shackles?

Will you be installing a lift kit on your tent? jk

Good times are in store for you in 2018!

New Rubicon Express springs and shackles in the rear I think I ended up with about 5.5" back there. I'm hoping it settles a little as of right now its a little higher than the front (4.5"). Maybe once I load it for expeditions it will even out.

Haha l, I have seen images of similarly lifted xjs with the tent so I am hoping it will still work.

Well I snapped an axleshaft the other day turning at a stopsign. The joys of daily driving with a welded rear.

IMG_20180203_120011-768x576.jpg

The broken piece posed a bit of a challenge to remove from the carrier. However I am an electronics geek so I decided to create an electromagnent out of a bolt and some wire.

I put it on the end of a PVC pipe and routed the wires through it. I pushed the device in the axle tube until it touched the broken shaft. Then hooked up the wires to the battery in my spare XJ then pulled the shaft out. However, the wires did get hot and I did not want to keep it energize too long so instead of trying to work it over the spindle ledge, I ended up pulling the carrier and pusing the shards out. But it worked well and saved me a lot of pain.

IMG_20180203_184400-768x576.jpg

The magnent itself is simply a left over (damaged) rear leaf spring bolt from my XJ. With 14 gauge wire coiled around it twice. I used duct tape to keep it held together. The light switch was a weak attempt and having a toggle switch and it did not last long with the amount of current that was going through it. I estimated around 120 amps going using a car batter. The switch was rated for 15 amps oops, probablly should of did the math first.

I opted to use a separate vehicle's battery incase the insulation melted off my wire and shorted inside the axle tube. I only kept it energized long enough to pull the shaft from the carrier.

All in all it made for some rainy day Mad Scientist Wrenching Fun.

IMG_20180204_140915-768x576.jpg

An Eaton Posi is on order to avoid further heartache.

Nice idea with the magnet. Does that 60 have the little 30 spline shafts? If you go to a new locker you should consider going 35 spline especially if you break them that easy. You may have to bore out your hubs tho.

It is a 30 Spline. I thought about boring it out and changing to 35 but I didn't think it was worth the hassle. If it becomes an issue I'll probably find another axle. I am hoping the posi receives the stress.

The 30 spline D60 is a weak axle, really not much of an upgrade over an 8.25 or D44 rear.

Maybe, but I never broke a 27 spline 8.25 shaft on the street with a welded carrier. I just think you should really consider upgrading to 35 spline before you put a lot of money into that axle. Once upgraded it'll be very stout for you and probably way stronger than you'll ever need.

Maybe, but I never broke a 27 spline 8.25 shaft on the street with a welded carrier. I just think you should really consider upgrading to 35 spline before you put a lot of money into that axle. Once upgraded it'll be very stout for you and probably way stronger than you'll ever need.

All good points. I had put a bunch of miles on the welded carrier before the snap. I just turrned a little too sharp coming out of the stop sign and I think the inside tire just gripped a little harder than usual. I'll reach out to the shop I ordered my new carrier from. If its too late to change I will just proceed as planned. If not I will see if I want to take the time to bore out the spindles and weigh my options.

Well the shop said the 30 spline carrier had not shipped yet and they had a 35 spline arb locker sitting on the shelf collecting dust. They gave me a great deal on it so I guess now I am going to boring those spindles out. Gah I'm so weak willed, so much peer pressure. :)

Even though it’s overkill for the tires you’re running, it’ll be way better in the long run.

I'd probably go the hole saw route I read about on the forum. Unless that tool makes it that much easier to justify the cost.

I have one if those 60s and that's exactly what I intended to do. It actually seemed relatively easy just time consuming. The hole saw parts were easy to get.

Then I got a 14 bolt. If I ever go tons.

I find it odd that you broke a shaft on the road. When I had that axle, I was on 37s and drove it frequently on the road with no problems. Also, I highly suggest you measure the spindles to ensure there is enough material for boring them. Because that came out of a 73 Dodge W300, it may not have large enough spindles. I never measured them when I had it since I already had another 60 to go in its place.

Back