• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

popping and jumping front end

lil_red_wagon

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 90 limited and i have a major popping and jumping in my front end. every time i turn sharp either way it starts popping and jumping. like im locked in the front or somethin. im not shure what it is any one have any ideas. i know im not in 4wd cause i can have the selector in 2wd and get in grass or mud and it will spin just the back tires. i can pull it in 4wd and all 4 tires will grip and i will go. i have changed the transfer case from a 242 to a 231. the person that changed them out used the 242 imput shaft in the 231. i dont know if this will cause a prob or not. it does seem like im in 4wd or i have a locker in the front. nothin has ever bein done to the front diff. i have replaced the u joints in the front drive shaft and the front axles. both hubs. and about everything else in the front end. i checked the spider gears today and nothin is wrong with them and no wear or play. i have no play in any part of the front diff.

the popping sounds like a track bar bracket moving on you. make sure all those bolts are tightened down good. as for the jumping, do you aftermarket rims with different offsets or wheel spacers? that can cause it to jump on corners. also make sure the linkage for the transfer case is adjusted properly. it might say 2wd but still be in 4.

Ball joints?Bent housing,knuckle,or axle shaft?

my jeep makes a sound kinda like what you described when i turn real sharp and its from the ig side iers on my tsl super swampers that rub my long arms. i have backspaced wheels but they still rub when at full lock. maybe this could be what your hearing?

Re-check the ujoints. Other than something rubbing or the spiders, I can't see anything else that would cause this. The input shaft wouldn't have anything to do with it.

it still sounds like your not coming out for 4wd to me. thats what all of the complains fit. the popping could be anything, but the fact that its jumping... that sounds like 4wd. plus, if you bind so much you have to give it more gas, same thing, 4wd. so long as your front axle isn't binding inside the case...

no i can pull the axles out and they are in great shape same with the spider gears. and all my bearings and everything. i was thinkin it was somethin broke in the front end but everything there is checkin out to be good. it sounds and acts like i have the front locked or something.

Remove your front drive shaft and try it again. If it still does it, you KNOW it's in your front end.

I actually have the same jumping problem when I use full-time 4x4.

took the front drive shaft out and it quit. for some reason it wont come all the way out of 4wd. im goin to rip the transfer case apart and see if i can find out whats wrong. i have a donor one for parts if need be. i dont have the full time part time anymore has bein changed out to a np231. im also goin to get some help and see if somethin is just out of adjustment in the linkage.

i also just found out the transfer case i have is a 99 np231 if im reading the serial plate right. it also has a short tail shaft. is this goin to be bennifitable on doin a h&t sye?

Man, bennifitable? That is awesome. Im totally stealing that word from you.

Hope you find the issue, sorry I am of no help....

Ben

Back