• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another popping in front end question

XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and Ive got a pretty good idea about whats goin on but I still have a question.

Yesterday me,my cousin, and another guy went deer huntin on our lease. Well after alot of heavy rain, the place was nothin but a big thick mudpit. I knew 4wd would be needed to get out because even in the flat spots, we weren't moving much so I put it in 4H like I usually do (stop, put trans in N, shift to 4H, put trans back in D), well when I started to give it some gas it made a fairly loud popping sound in the front end...I'm thinkin the vac. disco has gone out or the shaft teeth werent meshing at the vacuume disco?
We finally got out but in 2wd with quite a bit of throttle (MT's woulda helped) but when we got back down to the main gravel road, I put it in 4H again and let it move at idle speed and then with very little pedal pressure and it didnt make any noise. So whats the deal here? Should I have kept the vehicle at walking speed and then shift into 4H or ?
The heep is covered with mud so it had to have been getting power......that or I was moving fast enough that the front tires still slung the thinner mud.

theres a possibility that your tcase chain was slipping since you have a rig old enough to have vacuum disco.
it happens when the chain is loose and it hops the gears

Im now beginning to think its the vac. disco because I went back to our lease today and had to use 4x4 again cept this time the 4x4 light started going off and on like its supposed to.

Back