• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

part time full time 4wd?

biscuitboy87

NAXJA Forum User
this should be easy to answer....
what is the difference between full time and part time.
i need an example like one is better for rain or one is for dirt only.
i was trying to prove a point to a friend, but would like to better understand WHAT i am talking about and HOW it works. TIA

biscuitboy87 said:
this should be easy to answer....
what is the difference between full time and part time.
i need an example like one is better for rain or one is for dirt only.
i was trying to prove a point to a friend, but would like to better understand WHAT i am talking about and HOW it works. TIA

Full Time is a setting where there is basically a open diferential in the transfercase. Full Time can be used any time in any conditions at all. Rain, snow, mud, dry pavement, what ever. But, in this setting it is just like an open diff, the axle with the least traction spins. In reality it works pretty good for rain, dry pavement, and times when there is some snow on the ground but not covered everywhere. You do end up with much better traction than with 2wd. It is called "Full Time" because it can be used all the time. Many older "Full Time" systems meant they were engaged all the time, much the same as this system but on the old trucks there was no differential in the transfer case.

Part Time is best in low traction situations. Heavy snow, loose dirt, and mud. In this mode the transfercase is locked solid between front and rear. Much like a locked differential but actually more like a spool. There is no way for the front and rear axles to spin at different speeds. Therefor this should only be engaged in low traction situatiuons. If you use it on dry pavement you will cause drivetrain binding and possible damage to the transfer case. It is called "Part Time" because it is not meant to be used all of the time.

4wd low is just Part Time with a 2.72:1 gear reduction. For low traction and low speed.

HTH,
B-loose

thank you for the info. i was wondering because my friend stated (as you did too) that the part time (i have part time 4hi and 4low) is for low traction, but being iron head Mc Me i argued that part time was only actually ON part time.
heres mud in my face! lol
thabnks again.

You probably all ready know this, but the NP231 transfer case (AKA Command Trac) is a part time system only. The NP242 (AKA Select Trac) transfer case is a part time OR full time system.

Back