NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992) Jeep's Cherokee-based compact pickup technical forum.

Old February 12th, 2018, 17:13
NAXJA Member

Re: MJ on 42 Boggers continued

Made a little more progress this past weekend and got some more tubing bent up and installed. The roof bars sucked to make. I finally figured out how to get them to fit but only after I screwed one up. I'm hoping to add as much strength as possible so I tied them into the original cage at every point they crossed. So much for the idea of keeping this low profile.

Once I can use the plasma cutter again I'll make the base plates for the bed bars and then work on tying the sections together.

[IMG]Untitled by David Nichols, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old February 17th, 2018, 20:26
NAXJA Member

I used up some of my screwed up bends and drops to add a little more to the roof section. I also made a couple of gusset tubes that I'm considering adding around the top of the windshield frame but forgot to get pictures of them.

I also got sick and tired of waiting for the co-op to fix the power in my garage so I made a trip to Lowe's for some supplies. I installed a 50 amp outlet near the circuit breaker panel in the house and made a 130' extension cord to go from the garage to the outlet. A little bit of gorilla tape where the cable comes in the window, can we say hack job! But hey, at least I can use the compressor and plasma cutter now.

I was able to get the base plates made for the front bed rail supports and I'm hoping to be able to get the bed rail welded in tomorrow. Then i can tie it into the new cage sections. With a little luck I might actually be able to finish this cage this month (or so).

Old February 19th, 2018, 17:05
NAXJA Member

Made a lot of progress this weekend, I got the base plates for the bed cage made up and installed. I finished the bed cage and got it welded in. I think I'll be adding some bracing mid way on it though, thats a long span without any support. I added the corner gussets at the A pillar which will make installing the windshield a little challenging. I was finally able to add the leg behind the cab tying the cages together.

I finally got back to bracing the fender flairs too. The rears were pretty basic, I just added tubes tying them into the cross tubes in the bed. The drivers front was a bitch though. I wanted to tie it into the engine bay cage like i did on the other side but didn't want to deal with relocating the power steering tank and filter. So I added a 3/16" frame stiffener plate to the drivers side frame connecting to the existing plates. The frame has a multi angle bend at this section so I got to use the press brake for something a little more precise this time. I started measuring for the first piece of tube and realized that it was going to be pretty tight getting around the hydraulic tank. I was able to do a funky double bend to get it to clear but it looks kinda stupid. I ended up doing the same thing on the rear brace too. I made up some blocks to tie the A pillar braces into the base structures that I built at eat bottom of the fenders. Those would have been way easier if I planned for them earlier.

I finished welding in the drivers side rear frame tie in point and then realized that I'm going to have to remove the exhaust and maybe the rear drive shaft to finish welding the passengers side rear, good point to call it a night. With any luck I'll finish all the tube work next week and then I can start the fun process of cleaning it all up and painting it, defiantly not looking forward to that.

Old February 23rd, 2018, 14:24
NAXJA Member

Looking great! That's some intense tube work.
Old February 24th, 2018, 18:36
NAXJA Member

I finally finished the tube work, and of course about an hour or so after I finish doesn't the Co-op electrician knock on my door to tell me that he repaired the disconnect at the pole and I now have power to the garage. WTF, where was he 2 months ago.

I was concerned with the long span on that bed side tube figuring that the first time I rub up against something they will just bend. So I added one more brace to each side. This will probably be the last of my tube work for a little while. I still have some gusseting and plating to do and then I get the joy of priming and painting it, yay

I still have a bunch of other things that I'd like to get done for Spring so theres still plenty to do.

Old February 24th, 2018, 18:38
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoMJ View Post
Looking great! That's some intense tube work.
Thanks man, its been a bit of a learning curve.
Old March 10th, 2018, 18:31
NAXJA Member

Slooooow going lately, haven't had too much time or energy to really make much progress but I made some. I was able to finish the tube door latches. Mounted one of the original front LED lights in the rear just below the new CB antenna mount. And made the brackets for the new front LED light bar. I also cut the holes for the defroster vents, the heater unit will have to wait until later, just don't have the time right now. I still want to add some bracing to the bottom attachment points or the inside roll cage, and maybe mount the other 14" LED behind the grill, but that is not a priority. The big challenge will be painting the truck and cage. I've got the equipment, now I just need to sand EVERYTHING, plastic off the whole garage and get the paint. Oh ya, and learn how to paint a vehicle , Ive never painted so I've been doing some research, YouTube has been helpful but I guess we will see just how much very soon. And I've got a feeling that I will probably be going out without a windshield for the first few runs too.

Old March 18th, 2018, 17:07
NAXJA Member

A little more progress today, I finished the engine cage connector brace, there is absolutely zero space under the hood so I will have to cut a hole in the hood for it to stick up through. I didn't get a chance to get that part done today.

The front light bar mount is done and I made a mount to install the other 12" LED behind the grill. Since I smashed off one of my front rock lights on the December snow run, I figured I'd replace them with something a little more low profile. I got some LEDMIRCY LED Rock Lights on Amazon, I'm not sold on the quality or light output so I installed them with zip ties for now until I figure out how they do.

I originally liked most the features of the LED light bar but thought the green light feature was kind of gay, but the idea of it has grown on me and gay or not, I'll defiantly be wiring it to work. I think it will go great with the new color.

I tore the rest of the stuff out of the cab to prep for paint. In the process I figured that I would add Deutsch connectors to the stuff I removed which added some time for sure. All I really have left is to cut the hole in the hood, and probably weld something back in to re-support it. Then a ton of paint prep.

I also need to figure out how the hell I'm going to paint this thing in my 1 1/2 bay garage with all my shit in there. My guess is that I'll cover the walls and everything with plastic which should be a major chore. As well as figure out how to create some kind of air exchange system, or maybe I'll just spray the primer with the place closed up and see how it turns out. Still a lot of shit to figure out right now. I'm starting to get pretty excited about getting it painted and making it even more mine! Skinnyridge built a pretty respectable rig but I gotta say, I'm getting sick of hearing " Hey Jesse's here" lol. I guess that's part of the process when you buy a rig that was built by someone fairly local.

Old April 7th, 2018, 16:36
NAXJA Member

Made some more progress, I weld up the engine bar and cut out the hood to clear. I also cleaned up the floor of the cab and treated it with some POR-15. I've got the entire cab sanded and ready for primer so today I spent the day organizing the garage and covered everything with plastic. In the process of hanging the plastic I ended up stepping on the thermostat and breaking it so I'll have to get one tomorrow morning. Next is set it on jack stands, remove the wheels, and tape off everything not getting painted. I'm hoping to actually get it in primer by the end of tomorrow but it might have to wait until next weekend.

Old April 8th, 2018, 16:21
NAXJA Member

Been a long day but I was able to get it in primer . Next weekend I'll try my hand at spraying paint, should be fun. Oh ya, I also changed my mind after seeing the wet primer vs dry flat finish. A glossy paint is going to exaggerate the damage way too much for my taste so I think I'll try and see if I can get some satin finish paint this week. If I can't get it in time then I may just go with the gloss paint anyway.

Old April 9th, 2018, 17:08
NAXJA Member

So I did a little research on satin finish lacquer paint and found out that there are very limited color choices. And lime green is defiantly not one of them. I've checked with a couple paint suppliers with little to no luck. Just for the hell of it I stopped at the auto parts store in Townsend to see if they could help. The guy there suggested that I wait for his partner to return and talk to him. Well I waited about 20 minutes for him to get back. Well, it was worth the wait. After explaining what I am attempting to do he came up with some flattening additive for epoxy paint which he thinks will work with the lacquer. So for the tune of $37.00 for a pint, I bought it. I'll try it out on some samples to see if it work. Hopefully, otherwise I just pissed away $37 for nothing and will have to paint it with gloss anyway.
Old April 12th, 2018, 12:21
XJholic

Awesome progress man!

Two thoughts..

1- Could you just use a piece of plexi for the windshield? Probably a lot easier than trying to fit a windshield back in.

2- Paint, you could look at this https://www.durabakcompany.com/color...or-your-truck/

It's a bedliner type paint but in a smooth finish. Personally I think it will be a PITA to shoot 2/1 stage paint on the uneven surface and as you said with the gloss finish exaggerating the damage same with spraying paint. It might get runs and then your're back at the start scuffing. With the bedliner you could roll it and it will be a lot for forgiving of the surface imperfections. Just a thought.
Old April 13th, 2018, 17:21
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Awesome progress man!

Two thoughts..

1- Could you just use a piece of plexi for the windshield? Probably a lot easier than trying to fit a windshield back in.

2- Paint, you could look at this https://www.durabakcompany.com/color...or-your-truck/

It's a bedliner type paint but in a smooth finish. Personally I think it will be a PITA to shoot 2/1 stage paint on the uneven surface and as you said with the gloss finish exaggerating the damage same with spraying paint. It might get runs and then your're back at the start scuffing. With the bedliner you could roll it and it will be a lot for forgiving of the surface imperfections. Just a thought.
Thats a great idea, I wish I saw this before I bought everything to paint it.
Old April 13th, 2018, 18:04
NAXJA Member

1/2 day at work yesterday so I was able to paint the green on the cab & bed.After some experimenting I was able to find a mixture (10 to 1) that worked pretty good. But like an idiot I forgot to mix it in when it came time to spray.

It was very shiny when I sprayed it but is now more like a semi-gloss. I'm not sure if it was the slow lacquer thinner I used, the cold temperature, I turned off the heater before starting, or the humidity, it started raining as I was painting. Whatever the reason I like the end result.

I started taping off everything to get ready for bed liner and black paint. Hopefully I can get that done tomorrow.
Old April 14th, 2018, 17:42
NAXJA Member

All I can say is that I am so glad that I'm done with the cab. Taping off around all that tubing was miserable. It was especially fun around the tubes that only have about 1/32" clearance, or less. But I can say that the cab is done. It certainly didn't come out anywhere near perfect but I'm pretty happy with it. And I learned a lot, like spend the money for the proper tape. I bought a couple rolls of 3m green 233+ tape but is wasn't anywhere enough so I grabbed some of the painters tape from the house. That stuff was fair at best, some of it blew off causing me to get black on the green. Plus I screwed up in a few spots and just left it open to let paint in.

Now I need to prep and paint the nose, grill, cowl, tailgate, doors, tube doors and wheels. I'll try to do most of it this weekend but not sure if I can get it all don't or not.