• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Done with the swap

Trail Blazer

NAXJA Forum User
We've finished the 93XJ into an 86XJ swap. Boy that was fun. Had to graft the front of the 93 onto the 86 so the radiator would fit.

here are some pics, more soon...

the XJ on the right has a 3" lift
IMAG0638.jpg

IMAG0637.jpg

my soaking wet bible with all my electrical printouts
IMAG0598.jpg

had to replace the oil pump in the transmission
IMAG0622.jpg

We crushed the gear installing the TC wrong :nono:
IMAG0623.jpg

The day i got this Jeep legal, the oil pump in the engine went out. So we started the swap.

Here is the old 2.8L
IMAGE_467.jpg

Here is the 93XJ 4.0L
IMAG0650.jpg

and now for some misc pics...
IMAG0651.jpg

IMAG0652.jpg

IMAG0657.jpg

IMAG0658.jpg

IMAG0660.jpg

IMAG0661.jpg

I see that wonky lifted X and think of the beaterz opening page -

beaterz1.jpg

ummm, yeah... we're not done with the lift. she's got 12" or 13" lift in the ass, and only 7" lift in the front ........ gunna build a long arm setup for her too :)

I'm currently printing 120 pages of 1993 XJ electrical diagrams to put on my shop wall. 93XJ engine wiring and 86XJ body wiring dont match up. :(

Got the 35's, the rims were sooooo bent, they had to put that powder in the tire that they use for semi timers. Not sure what its called.
Now the wife and I are working on the long arm setup....

IMAG0181.jpg

35's look good on that. Balances it out nicely.
Are you running an 8.25? Can't really tell from the picture.
It's coming along well, good progress.

That is a nice lookin rig. Congrats on the successful drivetrain swap into what looks like a great body.

no dents/rust on the XJ, my major boo-boo was that i burned the mounts onto the new cross member without triple checking the locations..... yeah... the front driveshaft and exhaust rest on the mounts. sooooo, we cut the mounts off and are going to start over....

:banghead:

oh, and as far as the swap.... we are still working with the wiring portion of it. The 93 bulkhead thingy doesn't mate with the internal wiring of the 86. but it runs and drives great :)

I am doing basically the same swap. I have swapped a 4.0L Auto trans and NP231 from my 88 xj into my 86 wagoneer that also had the crappy v6. I have swapped the entire engine bay harnesses up to the fuse box and have simply mated it to the back of the wagoneer fuse box. It doesnt want to start. What all did you have to do to the wiring to get it to start? Also, did you have to switch out the fuel pump and fuel lines from the xj into the wagoneer since the wagoneer was carberated. there are 3 fuel lines in the wagoneer and only 2 in the xj. How did you get the tranny and transfer case linkages right? Please help asap I'm a little stuck and need some direction to get the beast running.

Back