• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling system Q&A

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
I realize this has been hashed out but I didnt see this in the searches I read. I have a 95 4.0 Chero and after my trip to Death Valley this weekend I gotta do something more with the cooling system. Pulling Hwy 190 out towards Lone pine I had to pull over several times to cool down. I can idle all day at 210, traveled thru Goler wash 60 miles out over the pass no probs. Hit the pavement and it runs at 3/4 hot 230?+ nearing and occasionally entering the red zone on a 100 degree day. The Radiator is newer of unknown kind, tiwan made says HD cooling. The fan clutch is new as of last week( Thank God for it or we woulda had meltdown) Thermo new @195. I wasent able to find the type with the bleed hole, Is it really a issue? will a highflo H2O pump help? I read about 2 or 3 row rads. why do so many dislike the 3 row? will adding a trans cooler help. Or is this all a waste and this is will its gonna run temp wise. Jeep is basically stock, 31s 2" lift, auto, 183K on it now. With summer here, pulling Cuesta grade everyday will surely smoke this poor thing
Please give me some opinions
Thanks

Overheating on the highway with normal running temps. at idle or low speeds usually indicates a clogged radiator. I suggest you thoroughly flush the cooling system and get a new radiator cap as a first measure. You can also pressure wash the A/C condenser in case the fins are clogged up with mud and insects. If none of these measures help, invest in a new Modine 2-row radiator. Why not a 3-row? Because the radiator thickness of a 3-row is the same as that of a 2-row so each row is thinner and the passages are smaller, therefore they don't flow as well and clog up more easily.

Back