• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Teraflex Control arms for my 2001 XJ ?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
I've been shopping around for a set of new front lower control arms for my '01 XJ as the bushings appear to be worn out and causing low speed popping/rattling noises.

I have no lift currently and don't plan on anything other than maybe a 1" - 2" lift in the future if at all. My XJ is my DD and the factory ride height has served me well these past many years.

That being said... I was looking around locally this past Friday at a couple 4x4 shops and found the Teraflex Original flexarms in stock so I bought them. There were a couple other shops who had new LCA's but they were all for Jeeps w/3" or more lift height which doesn't work for me. I would've paid more for a beefier or better design but wanted something I could get my hands on. Time didn't permit me to install these over the weekend and now I'm having second thoughts on what I bought. Total out the door was $201 so it wasn't like they were cheap arms... and had I been given the chance I'd have bought MetalCloak arms but I didn't want to wait on them to ship out.

I'm having second thoughts about the design of these Teraflex arms... as I've seen a few online reviews of them failing or not allowing the arms/joints to flex and tearing up the mounting brackets. I'm just not sure they'll hold up for very long after looking over the design once I got them home.

Here's what they look like:

http://www.rockridge4wd.com/i-21252...-original-lower-flexarm-kit-pair-1615766.html

Anyone here running these LCA's? What's your thoughts or experience with them... or anyone know someone who's run them and happy/unhappy with the results? I'm thinking about returning them (if I can) and just going with the MetalCloak and waiting to get them in. I'd rather not hate these Teraflex and eventually end up swapping them out for another LCA in the future.

You aren't going to be doing anything at stock ride height to break those, or if you do you will break something else first

Thanks. I haven't been able to find any 'current' threads on these particular Control Arms so just wanted to get some input from others if they had some.

Why not give metal cloak a call and see if the arms are in stock -- Ask them how long it would take to ship them

No way I would put an inferior product on just because I didn't want to wait -- whats another couple days especially to get exactly what you want

Buying once, what you want, is always better than buying inferior and still wanting the better product

unfortunately I have no knowledge of either of the products you mention so I can't comment about quality

Why not give metal cloak a call and see if the arms are in stock -- Ask them how long it would take to ship them

No way I would put an inferior product on just because I didn't want to wait -- whats another couple days especially to get exactly what you want

Buying once, what you want, is always better than buying inferior and still wanting the better product

unfortunately I have no knowledge of either of the products you mention so I can't comment about quality

You make a good point and normally I don't mind waiting... but another real factor for me... is cost. I will pay more if the product is that much better or the one I'm buying is that much worse. If the Teraflex will work for my application I'm ok with it. But the MetalCloak are $70 plus Shipping costs more... which is almost 1/3 more. If the Teraflex are poor quality then I'll return them and then go another route. I'm a bit conflicted ... obviously since I started this thread. Ha :)

I have no use for their arms if they still run those hard bushings! I would return them!

I called up the shop where I bought the Teraflex arms and they're going to swap them out for some of the Teraflex Monster arms which are the much larger/beefier arms w/the jonny joint on one end and poly bushing on the other. A much better design.

So I was able to swap out my front lower control arms this past weekend and while the install was mostly a breeze... yesterday while driving home from work the same pop / rattle was still there when coming to a stop. The frustrating part is it's not all the time or in just certain situations. It's random, but the only thing consistent is it happens when coming to a stop, like right before I stop... say 3mph to a stop. Still trying to figure it out and fix it.

On the plus side, these Teraflex Monster arms are that... monsters. The have firmed up the front end feel and now it feels like my old shocks might be worn out. No more flex in the arms causes what feels like a wobble/bounce now when the suspension is working. Since the OE lower arms aren't absorbing that anymore it appears the KYB shocks are worn out. I'll have to pull them off and see if they have anymore rebound or if they're shot. Probably time to order new ones as these have about 70K miles on them.

Here's a quick shot of the Teraflex arms I took when I got into work this am... didn't take any install pics as we've all seen that. :)

Back