• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoking Xj...

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
Welp... Todays new problem with my wonderful AMC product is its smoking. Its not consistent either. Doesnt have to be when the engine is cold, and doesnt have to stop when the engine is at proper running temp nor does it happen every time I drive it. But nearly every time. Just a cloud of white smoke out of the tail pipe. This is not water vapor or just because its cold. This is literally a plume of white smoke. A lot of it. My oil filter arm does leak but this is not a case of oil hitting the exhaust and causing smoke. This is coming strait out of the tail pipe. I cant say that I have noticed any difference in power and it doesnt buck or stall. Any ideas? 95k on engine 180k on body.
1998 Xj 4.0 Inline 6
New:
Intake gasket, fuel pump. upstream 02, plugs, leads, dist, rotor, starter, thermostat, harmonic balancer, belt, radiator, brakes and disks, master cyl and full flush. Engine oil is changed every 4k with castrol edge and mobil filter

And if it's coming out of the tail pipe, checking for external leaks is probably not going to warrant you anything. Time for a compression, leak down and tests on your oil and coolant to see what's going on internally.

Today is trouble shooting day, Ill see what I can do. I am definitely stumped though. I cant be sure if its a coolant leak because of the fact that this white smoke does not happen all the time and my engine does not overheat. Woo! Godda love when things are not simple to diagnose :repair::explosion

Tested the coolant and the block test fluid turned yellow. The exhaust also smells strongly of coolant today. Not having a rough idle or overheating so it must not be a horrible leak. Being in CT, I never see vehicles under 5 years old on the road because they all blow their engines within that time frame wiphich means shops charge and arm and a leg for everything. Hopefully I can get a deal on having my head resurfaced :banghead::repair:

Iron heads don't usually need a surface unless they are warped which is not real common. Could just be a failed gasket due to poor cooling system maintenance.

I think I should at least get it tested for any cracks in the head. If it is cracked I will just order a new one from Edelbrok. Hear a lot of horror stories from people that order oem ones. Seems like they usually ship warped.

Pull the spark plugs and see what they look like.

A head shop charges about $200 to $300 to rework a head, depending on what it needs. And they will test and inspect it 100% for any hairline cracks, etc.

You need a head gasket kit and head bolts, about $100 total. That is the minimum you need to do it yourself. I would not mess with the risk of just replacing the gasket, and reusing the old head bolts (they can only be reused once in their life). Be sure to read up on the little, but important steps for removing and installing everything in old threads here.

I have done three Xj head gaskets this year so Im not a pro but I have a good idea on what im in for. My plan right now due to the fact that this is my only vehicle is to take the head off and examine the gasket. If the gasket has an obvious blow out then I will just replace it. If the gasket looks good I will get the head tested. Thanks for the pointers about the bolts though

AFAIK it's only the 00-01 that are known for cracking at the first sign of running hot. '98 should be relatively tolerant. Not saying it can't happen but it is specifically the 0331 non-TUPY casting that is the one people get worried about.

No reason for head bolts unless they are pitted. I've pretty much always reused head bolts unless they are torque turn or torque to yield bolts. I've been a mechanic a long time and never had issues. That said, if you feel better about using new bolts go ahead. Don't buy cheap bolts though. Step up to dealer or ARP.

I'd get the head checked, the OEM ones were notorious for cracking.

The older heads are rock solid, never heard of one cracking in 98 and older years. The 2001, 0331 casting is the one that cracks for no good reason at about 100,000 miles

The jeep 4.0 head bolts are torque to yield, with only one reuse allowed, but there is no way to know if they have been reused or not. Only safe bet is new ones imho.

I get mine at headbolts.com they are an ARP stocking dealer.

No reason for head bolts unless they are pitted. I've pretty much always reused head bolts unless they are torque turn or torque to yield bolts. I've been a mechanic a long time and never had issues. That said, if you feel better about using new bolts go ahead. Don't buy cheap bolts though. Step up to dealer or ARP.

If the rear window has a greasy film, it is antifreeze being burned. Sniff, does it smell sweet, it is antifreeze.

Well, I will be calling the machine shop while at work tomorrow. Going to have them test it for cracks (just to be safe) and resurface it. Then back in the Xj it goes. Since this is my daily driver and its out of commission life has been a bit... well a massive pain in the ass :rof:

Back