• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ factory tow hooks okay for recovery?

Greenspan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a 98 XJ Sport, came with the Upcountry Package from the factory and included two front tow hooks and one rear tow hook. Can I use those hooks with a Snatch strap to pull others or get pulled out myself or will I rip them out and mess up the frame? After a lot of searching I have not found a good answer for the XJ. Anyone have any experience using those?

I have a Detours rear bumper coming that has D-ring mounts, so I am not super worried about the rear. However for the front I like the ARB Bull Bar Bumper because it's Airbag Rated, however it doesn't seem to have any good recovery points. Wondering if the factory hooks in front are usable for recovery, or if I'll need to find a front hitch that is compatible with the ARB bumper.

The XJ factory front tow hooks are good for light to moderate recoveries. Heavy pulling and/or less than straight on pulling tends to bend the brackets.

ARB front bumpers are set up for D-rings, nothing else should be needed.

Front hooks, yes.

Rear hook, no.

How are those hooks, better than the original tow eye?
I had to go to the parts catalog to learn there was an optional eye that bolts to the same bracket as the hook. The hook I own has "Max Load 10000 lbs" stamped into the steel.

How are those hooks, better than the original tow eye?

Oh, & while we're on the subject anyone know the purpose on the '97-on's for that long rearward extension?

I had to go to the parts catalog to learn there was an optional eye that bolts to the same bracket as the hook. The hook I own has "Max Load 10000 lbs" stamped into the steel.

If you guys are talking about what I think you are talking about the eyelet runs in conjunction with the tow hook in the rear. I would post a picture of mine but can't. I put a rear tow hook on my '00 that did not come with one. I have also seen parts catalog illustrations where they show them in conjunction with front tow hook setups.

My catalog is for 1990, but does show the eye or the hook for both front and rear brackets.

I have used the front brackets with hooks. There are 8 or 9 bolts holding each bracket assembly.

On one of my junkyard expeditions, I was unbolting a rear hook when a passerby told me about ripping one off the back of his XJ. He said the two bolts that attach the bracket to the sub frame pulled through. I thanked him for the heads-up! :wow:

The rear tow hook is basically worthless, the tow eye is even more worthless. The rear tow hook faces down, so anytime there is slack in the recovery strap, the strap will fall off the hook. Secondly it is on the drivers side so if you need a pull from the passenger side, or you pulling somebody else at an angle, you are going to tweak the bracket. As already explained the rear tow hook is simply not held on by much more than some angle iron. A better choice for a rear recovery point is a Class-III hitch and a D-Ring insert.

The stock recovery points are for stock Cherokees stuck in a ditch beside the road. If you are going off-road, you will want stronger recovery points, front and rear.

standard.jpg
[/IMG]
standard.jpg

Last edited:
The front hooks point down as well, so that same problem would exist on the front as well. Seems like it would make it a PITA but work-aroundable

I guess the point is they are meant to be pulled on for recovery. Maybe not as much as a D-ring, and not sideways at all, but they are better than a tie down point.

I don't care too much about the rear one, I agree with you guys it's not held on by much, but I already have a rear bumper with D-rings on the way. Long-term, ideal solution is to get a front bumper with D-rings as well but it's sounding like the tow hooks would be passable in the meantime, just be careful and maybe use an equalizer strap.

For anyone who's curious this is what the stock Front and Rear Tow hooks look like:

Front:
L8hGcmi.jpg

Rear:
bP1bDFg.jpg

Sorry for all the dirt, just got done running through some mud in Mojave 2 weeks ago, and Mammoth Mountain last week, haven't had a chance to get a wash

The front hooks point down as well, so that same problem would exist on the front as well. Seems like it would make it a PITA but work-aroundable

I guess the point is they are meant to be pulled on for recovery. Maybe not as much as a D-ring, and not sideways at all, but they are better than a tie down point.

I don't care too much about the rear one, I agree with you guys it's not held on by much, but I already have a rear bumper with D-rings on the way. Long-term, ideal solution is to get a front bumper with D-rings as well but it's sounding like the tow hooks would be passable in the meantime, just be careful and maybe use an equalizer strap.

For anyone who's curious this is what the stock Front and Rear Tow hooks look like:

Front:
L8hGcmi.jpg

Rear:
bP1bDFg.jpg

Sorry for all the dirt, just got done running through some mud in Mojave 2 weeks ago, and Mammoth Mountain last week, haven't had a chance to get a wash

I see you don't have the eyelet on the rear hook. I can see where as a recovery point the rear might not really work. The fact that Jeep only made one for the passenger side seems a little odd too. I put one on mine but more for a look then anything else. I have an extra one that I am going to mod and see if I can attach it to then passenger side. The bracket itself is only for the driver's side. It would not be in the same position if you tried to use it on the passenger side. But if you look at the bracket it is welded together. I have a buddy that welds. He is going to separate the bracket for me. Then I am going to mod it up for position. Without the visual I can not tell if the hook will clear the tailpipe. I think it will though. I it looks like it will work out I will have him reweld the bracket and try to.

The front chin spoiler does work kinda like a tow strap retainer clip. I converted the front tow hooks to D-ring mounts and reinforced the brackets. I wouldn't bother altering the rear bracket, a Class-III hitch isn't very expensive, and a hitch provides much greater strength for pulling and for off angle pulling, a central recovery point location, ties the rear frame rails together strengthening the unibody, plus you can tow stuff.

standard.jpg

Now I am confused 'cos you guys keep mentioning stock hooks*, which is maybe why you didn't understand by question about tow eyes at the front. Yes it does look a bit like a tie down loop - but much more substantial!

Perhaps it's a Euro. spec thing - I can see they wouldn't like those hooks, think of the injuries to anyone under the vehicle.

* just spotted, OP refers to factory HOOKS - doh!

Now I am confused 'cos you guys keep mentioning stock hooks*, which is maybe why you didn't understand by question about tow eyes at the front. Yes it does look a bit like a tie down loop - but much more substantial!

Perhaps it's a Euro. spec thing - I can see they wouldn't like those hooks, think of the injuries to anyone under the vehicle.
Looking at your location, I too was wondering if this was specific to your region. Such as it is, you made me dig a little deeper, and look a little harder. I learned something new! :cheers:

Is this what you mean by the tow eye?

s-l225.jpg

I did Google image search, and that's one of the things that came up. I don't know what the purpose of that would be, other than to tie down on a ship or something, certainly wouldn't use that for recovery.

The rear tow hook is basically worthless, the tow eye is even more worthless. The rear tow hook faces down, so anytime there is slack in the recovery strap, the strap will fall off the hook. Secondly it is on the drivers side so if you need a pull from the passenger side, or you pulling somebody else at an angle, you are going to tweak the bracket. As already explained the rear tow hook is simply not held on by much more than some angle iron. A better choice for a rear recovery point is a Class-III hitch and a D-Ring insert.

The stock recovery points are for stock Cherokees stuck in a ditch beside the road. If you are going off-road, you will want stronger recovery points, front and rear.

BeKcJ0gWkKGrHqIOKiwEq4bSsd8jBK8ILyK.jpg

Don't the hooks have pieces of spring steel to retain the strap?

I just bought a '00 and I swear I saw them when looking underneath. I can't go out and look though because I haven't brought it home yet (at buddy's shop, I'm having him put new tires on it and fix the AC before I start driving it)

I also swear it had two in the rear, but again, I don't 100% trust my memory as my only real good look at it was checking it out before handing over the cash and dumping it on my friend.

Mine does not have the clips to hold on the strap, but like someone said earlier the front ones protrude through the chin spoiler so that helps out some.

There is only one rear one on mine, two in the front. I assume they are factory setup but can't be sure since I'm am not the original owner.

It's possible someone modded yours to have a retainer clip and added one to the rear. But, as others have said, the tow hooks are really not that great of an option anyway so clips or no clips you probably want to get a hitch or a rated rear bumper.

got both :) bumper didn't fit on my last XJ so I used a hitch instead. Will see what I have to do on this one once it's back on the road. bumper still in storage locker, hope it works so I keep more ground clearance.

Tow hooks were an option on any XJ, they were part of the UpCountry off-road option package, and they are plug and play, so you could buy them at the Dealership or bring them home from the junkyard.

Don't the hooks have pieces of spring steel to retain the strap?

Retainer clips were added by a previous owner.

I have the factory mounts with a homemade bow shackle mount. It worked perfectly when Farmer Matt yanked me up a waterfall on the way to Grouse Lake. Maybe a 15' yank at about a 25/30 degree angle.No problems at all...

Bow shackle mount looks similar to this.
9k=
standard.jpg

9k=

Back