• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover gasket recommendations

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the valve cover gasket on my '91 4.0.

Any recommendations? Is the FEL-PRO VS50522T PermaDryPlus worth the extra money? Does it really stay leak-free longer?

Thanks.

What about the difference between the Felpro cork gasket, and the PermaDryPlus? The cork is $5.00, and the PermaDryPlus is $31.00. Anybody use the expensive one?

When you use the cork, do you add RTV silicone?

Thanks!

I just put the cork on my 91 and so far, no leaks. I did rtv it a bit just to keep it stuck to the valve cover when I flipped it over. It was an SOB trying to get on with the thermostat housing in the way so I pulled it to make life easier.

Cork is old school junk now days. PITA it is!!! Get one that is reusable, made of silicone they are. They last forever. And they are in the 30 range as I recall, maybe higher.

Thanks for the replies. I'll go with the permadry ... I'm hoping if it's torqued down properly, it won't leak for a 100k miles or so.

Miles or years, either are no match for the new silicone seal materials. And they do not stock the metal, and thus can be reused, again and again.

Miles or years, either are no match for the new silicone seal materials. And they do not stock the metal, and thus can be reused, again and again.

Man ... that is music to my ears. Are there any other brands of silicone valve cover gaskets? I checked Rock Auto before posting this question, and Felpro PermaDry was the only one listed there.

I am not aware of any others, but I have not looked in some time. Rock auto would be the place to look!!!

My last post was a type, It was meant to say they will not stick to the metal parts, making them easy to reuse, no mess, and makes Valve cover removal for valve train inspection way easier, clearer and faster.. thus paying for the higher cost

Man ... that is music to my ears. Are there any other brands of silicone valve cover gaskets? I checked Rock Auto before posting this question, and Felpro PermaDry was the only one listed there.

I also used the FelPro PermaDry and was very happy with it.

If only they made oil filter adapter o-rings out of the same stuff!

They do, but you need to go to an industrial o'ring company with the OEM orings so they can match them or make them

Back