• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-housing: use gasket or RTV

my2monkeys

NAXJA Member
My t-housing keeps leaking with a new gasket. thinking of using RTV only.

What do you think?

The gaskets have a glue on one side like a sticker and that just aint sealing it well.

I have even sanded the housing flat to remove low spots from corrosion and still leaks.

The past few times I have used gasket and gasgachinch sp? But some blue RTV would be fine

Why not use both?

I'll usually coat the gasket with rtv -- a thin coat, spread with my fingers, both sides coating the entire gasket

Works every time

I just use the gasket. If it ain't sealing well, your t-stat housing may be warped. If the thermostat slips down out of its place and the bolts are tightened, its nearly a sure bet that your t-stat housing is warped.

I always use the permatex theremostat housing rtv junk. My surface is kinda pitted and it always seems to seal up fine.

RTF alone is tricky and can leak, Sounds like you have a bad T-stat housing. Or trash in the bolts holes and the bolts are not clamping the housing down tight as they are bottoming out on trash in the threads or hole bottom? Have you cleaned the threads on the holes and bolts properly? I use a tap, a wire brush and a vacuum.

Back