• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which year did steel hatches start?

what were they before? Mine's a 96 and its definitely metal. Aluminum maybe? Is the steel stronger?

BlackSport96 said:
what were they before? Mine's a 96 and its definitely metal. Aluminum maybe? Is the steel stronger?

My '95 is definitely fiberglass. Think about it, why would they develop a steel hatch to use for one year knowing that a new body style was coming out the next year?

Last edited:
my 91 has an fiberglass hatch, so any under 97 are fiberglass and an 97+ are metal.
well i found out the hard way that the header panel is fiberglass as well.

Atl XJ said:
My '95 is definitely fiberglass. Think about it, why would they develop a steel hatch to use for one year knowing that a new body style was coming out the next year?
Never said it was steel, I figured mine was aluminum if it wasn't steel. Besides, did they even change the hatch (besides obviously the fiberglass to steel switch). I guess I'm just not as knowledgeable as you ATL.

Kejtar: No, I'm not sure, it just feels pretty solid so I assumed it was metal.
Haven't used a magnet on it Intrepid, but that wouldn't have made me think it wasn't metal, if I rememebr right, aluminum isn't magnetic. I could be wrong on that. But I'm gonna go with the knowledge that its fiberglass based off the large response :)

BlackSport96 said:
Never said it was steel, I figured mine was aluminum if it wasn't steel. Besides, did they even change the hatch (besides obviously the fiberglass to steel switch). I guess I'm just not as knowledgeable as you ATL.

Kejtar: No, I'm not sure, it just feels pretty solid so I assumed it was metal.
Haven't used a magnet on it Intrepid, but that wouldn't have made me think it wasn't metal, if I rememebr right, aluminum isn't magnetic. I could be wrong on that. But I'm gonna go with the knowledge that its fiberglass based off the large response :)
Your only 2 choices are steel or fiberglass.

If you open the hatch, look on the bottom edge at the drain holes. You can see the fiberglass construction is pretty thick. The front surround is also fiberglass on the 96, did they change this as well on the later ones?

Copperhead

BlackSport96 said:

Hey, whats that all about? I wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything. :peace:

I found out about this in a humiliating way. I bought a flag magnet to put on my hatch & when it wouldn't stick I took it back to the store & told them it was defective. They put it on their metal file cabinet & it stuck. The manager asked me what kind of car I have & laughed when I told him. (He has a '93.)

They look like metal & feel like metal--better, maybe. Have there been any long-term durability problems w/them? Are they harder to repair if damaged?

BlackSport96 said:
Besides, did they even change the hatch (besides obviously the fiberglass to steel switch). I guess I'm just not as knowledgeable as you ATL.
Yes, there is a design change, smooth edges, rounded, etc... and it's is a different shape on the bottom to fit around the new-style tail lights.

Churchlady said:
I found out about this in a humiliating way. I bought a flag magnet to put on my hatch & when it wouldn't stick I took it back to the store & told them it was defective. They put it on their metal file cabinet & it stuck. The manager asked me what kind of car I have & laughed when I told him. (He has a '93.)

They look like metal & feel like metal--better, maybe. Have there been any long-term durability problems w/them? Are they harder to repair if damaged?

The fiberglass hatch on the XJ was chosen by AMC when the designed the XJ for several reasons:

1. lighter hence better fuel economy (compared to a steel equivalent)
2. less prone to corrosion, which is a chronic problem on tailgates/hatches in the "rust belt" of the US
3. less costly tooling than the equivalent stamping dies for a metal hatch (this was probably the MAIN REASON, as AMC was not very well capitalized, and tooling is capital intensive)

That said, the hatch was plagued with problems in the early years with fatigue cracking around some key mounting points. Several running change upgrades were made over the course of time, some of which were covered under warranty.

When Chryco did the body refresh in 1997, I suspect they decided that the benefits of fiberglass were outweighed by the issues they had been wrestling related to cracking, so they reverted to a traditional hatch.

ATL: sorry bout that, sometimes, get a bit irritated by work...didn't mean to take it out on a fellow XJ'er.
What is the header panel, ie where is it? Does the fiberglass tend to lose its paint easily? I have areas (top of hatch, panel above hood) where the paint is horribly faded.

AZ Jeff said:
The fiberglass hatch on the XJ was chosen by AMC when the designed the XJ for several reasons:

1. lighter hence better fuel economy (compared to a steel equivalent)
2. less prone to corrosion, which is a chronic problem on tailgates/hatches in the "rust belt" of the US
3. less costly tooling than the equivalent stamping dies for a metal hatch (this was probably the MAIN REASON, as AMC was not very well capitalized, and tooling is capital intensive)

Just #2 would be reason enough for me: the bottoms of the rear doors is where my Trooper started rusting first.

BlackSport, the paint on my 8 yr. old fiberglass is perfect--same shade & gloss as the metal. Can't imagine why yours would wear there first. Of course there's probably less sun-fading in Maine than in CA. I don't think mine was even garaged for most of its life, though it was faithfully waxed.

I wonder if some colors are less durable than others or there were some years when Jeep's paint was better than other years. Anyone know? (Mine is Flame Red, which seems to hold up very well. Sure are lots of bright shiny red XJs around of approx. the same vintage as mine.)

Back