• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam Break-in, 3000 + Idle

HttpWayne

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the middle of breaking in the cam and the idle was high (after it's on for a very short amount of time it revs to beyond 3k - then I shut it off).

WHen I turn it on I touch the pedal to bring it up to 2k (it cranks up and hangs around a low idle and feels a tad shaky before I bring it up to speed; as it works up to 2k it's even and sounds smooth). Sometimes it goes to 2k for a few seconds then does the high rev, other times it acts normal and I have to keep blipping the throttle to keep it around 2k. I can't seem to just simply hold the pedal slightly open and it stay at 2k like I have done before.

I figured maybe it was a vacuum leak at some of the ports as I tightened them up before putting on the TB because the fittings moved a bit when I put the hoses on. I was able to tighten them all a bit, and it seems to hover around a more stable lower idle when turned on, but it will still jump rev up to beyond 3k RPMs after being on for a very short amount of time (20 seconds roughly).

My manifold bolts are tight, although I am re-using a metal Omix-Ada gasket. If there is an exhaust leak I wouldn't know since I have the exhaust disconnected and it has to be that way until I can get it to an exhaust shop. Cats were plugged from an event the year prior. This is a rebuilt engine with a new cam.

I don't want to keep turning this thing off and on during cam break in so I'm going to let it sit until I can come up with an idea what it is. It didn't take long for it to reach full operating temperature after I got it running.

I found it. I didn't know it was possible to noob the manifold installation this badly. Thanks guys!

5vlnZri.jpg

Back