• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine stalls when open driver door or push brake

5bucks

NAXJA Forum User
1999 stock XJ...
Weird electrical issue where engine stalls when I open the driver side door or depress brake pedal. Keep getting CEL w/P0705 code. Seems to be related to driver side electronics in general.

Other oddness with this problem...
1. Interior lights are kind of dim when activated by driver door switch. regular brightness when activated by passenger door or headlight knob turn.

2. Pushing brake pedal causes stalling in P or N about 90% of the time. Noticed weirdness with tail lights when this problem is going to happen. On driver's side all three rear lamps are lightly illuminated with engine running car in P and headlights off. On passenger side just the driving and reverse lamps are lightly illuminated. The 10% of the time in which pushing brake pedal does not cause stalling the tail lights do not lightly illuminate. But opening driver door still does.

3. When having issue the left turn signal flashes reverse lights at very low illumination.

I don't have a clue what to do! Strangest thing I've ever encountered. I re-seated a bunch of electrical connections under the hood. Checked battery and cleaned terminals. Engine runs well otherwise.

Right, the 705 code is Trans range sensor malfunction. I suck at the electronic stuff but my thought is maybe pushing brake/opening door causes some electrical short that messes with the transmission position sensor which cuts the engine? Or maybe a computer issue with all the tail light weirdness which is mostly on the drivers side.

Damaged and/or broken wires leading to short circuits in the driver door and the tailgate are very common. 12 volts positive short circuited to the 5 volts CCD/Bus that powers the OBD engine sensors and carriers the sensor signals will cause all sorts of fun problems.

Disconnect the driver door and tailgate wire harnesses and see if the problems clear up. Also inspect and disconnect the taillight wire harness at the plugs behind the spare tire and plastic trim. Inspect the tail light wire harness and any relays for signs of water leakage. The P700 codes are very likely caused by the stray voltage from the short circuits.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try.

Damaged and/or broken wires leading to short circuits in the driver door and the tailgate are very common. 12 volts positive short circuited to the 5 volts CCD/Bus that powers the OBD engine sensors and carriers the sensor signals will cause all sorts of fun problems.

Problem solved! And without a trip to the parts store. One bad ground wire and one questionable. The ones shown in the photo behind the spare tire wall. Holes in the wheel well allowed moisture and salt (WNY vehicle) to get up inside and rust them out. Thanks to Tim_MN for the advice!

Back